I wanna move. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by cassie, May 15, 2010.

1. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    I want to relocate and have a fresh start in the next year or so. Ideally, I would like an area with four seasons but not a LOT of snow and brutal cold and where real estate prices are not out of sight. I'm too old for that. I want a pretty place with a small acreage not too far from town where I can raise a few chickens, have a garden, and raise flowers. Ideas welcome. I am now in California and I don't really want to stay here. Ideas and suggestions please.

2. herefordlovinglady

herefordlovinglady It Is What It Is

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    Wow an adventure. of course i love georgia. we really don't have four seasons. i read a post recently where someone else was relocating and looking for ideas of places to move. some one in north caorlina described north carolina as paradise. you should try to find that post. i will help.

3. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    Palestine Texas!

4. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    I forgot to mention that I cannot tolerate a lot of high humidity. I will look up Palestine Texas. Never thought of Texas....

5. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Hehe, Texas rocks... you can get desert you can get woods you can get coastline... got a bit of everything here, and so long as you avoid the panhandle you don't get too horrible in the winter... Evidently I've got a Great Great Aunt (? my GGran's sister) in Palestine... we're eyeballing Denton and surrounding areas ourselves for a move in the next 12-24 months since UNT has a Masters/PhD Program in my hubby's field and UTA doesn't... I love the names of some of these small towns... Ponder for instance is particularly nifty.

Of course, if you aren't allergic to pine/cedar (like me) then Arkansas is a beautiful state, with very friendly folks.

Good luck in your search!

Edit... just saw the humidity remark, may want to scratch Arkansas and Louisiana as humidity is BRUTAL in summer for both... also a problem in some parts of Texas, Houston area for instance is always muggy, but up in DFW it's not too awful except this time of year (our rainiest month is May) when the temps and rain rise.

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I'd have to second the piedmont area of NC. The mountains are beautiful, but depending on where in the mountains you go you might be in for alot of snow. (Asheville, NC is my hometown)
    Definitely not the coast of NC, too high of humidity.
    Was going to suggest central Arkansas, but our summers are brutal.

7. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Homer, Alaska. May sound crazy- but it's on the Japanese current and it really doesn't have harsh winters. Seward is another town I researched. Almost relocated there before I met DH, and he already had the land in TN so.....

8. FarmerJamie

FarmerJamie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Try NE Ohio, if you don't like the weather, just wait 24 hours and it will change! [​IMG] We can also experience all 4 seasons in 1 week in the spring. As long as you don't care about local professional sports teams, you'll have no stress....

9. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Southeast Michigan, you don't get the lake effect because Canada is in the way [​IMG]

My mother just drove though a small town and said Victorian houses there were selling for under $100,000. Some small towns like Tecumseh let you keep chickens

10. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Tennessee is gorgeous, but the humidiity ramps up in August. It's not so bad if you have air conditioning to knock the humidity down in the house. We do get 4 distinct seasons and all in all the weather isn't bad.
    Come on and join us! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by