1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I wanna See Your Mutts and Crosses!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jenlyn9483, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Jenlyn9483

Jenlyn9483 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Ok, some of you know that I have just recently finished building The Missy Prissy Chick Bator. I have not incubated any eggs since I was like 13 yrs old with a Bator I begged for that I got for xmas from the local Coop. No one really showed me how to use it. I just read the directions, gathered some eggs and went on my way. No fancy turner..only a strofoam incubator with a wafer thermostat. I was as dilgent as a 13 yr old an be with no guidance, turning the eggs and maintaining water in the troughs ect. My hatch rate was about 3 for every 8 or 10, Which wasn't bad considering. Well I have bought some cheep mutt eggs from a local guy to do my first test run with. All I know about these eggs are that the Rooster is RIR and that he has some Black Astrolorp hens from what i was told. What I know from looking at the eggs is, that he also had at least one EE hen and something that laid smallish white eggs, (looks to be a bit larger than bantam eggs). I figured it would be SO fun to see what peoples mutts look like from crosses..

1) Include Pic, Age, and breeds involved.

2. averytds

averytds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    KS
    We have 3 mutts for sure. Breeder had a Buff Brahma roo and some Ameraucanas from MM, so EEs. So EE/Buff Brahma X. I just call them EEs.

They were 10wks in these.

The good dirt hole.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

These are a couple of my welsummerXMarans pullets.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

4. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Oliver, a buttercup/silkie roo[​IMG]
    Primo, a serama modern game roo(unfortunately he disappeared)
    [​IMG]
    Sasha is an unknown cross, I was told part EE. She lays medium sized white eggs. She is the hen on the right, black with some brown and the big single comb.[​IMG]

5. TheKidAndDame

TheKidAndDame Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Gator Nation, FL
    I am definitely looking forward to seeing more pics. Hopefully, in a few days I will be able to share my own!

6. Jenlyn9483

Jenlyn9483 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Henrietta, The buttercup/ Silkie Roo is Gorgeous!

7. jessupfamily

jessupfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    SW Indiana
    Oliver has a great hair-do! I love Silkie mixes! We had a ton of them hatch this year! Maybe I'll get to post some pictures...
    Blessings,
    Amy J.

8. jenjen

jenjen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2008
    Oregon House, Ca.
    Henrietta23...... Oliver frightens me [​IMG]

9. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I've got Light Brahma (LB) x RIR, x BR, x WL, x Black Australorp (BA) and really like a couple of them (going to try for more!)

This is Tuxedo, LBxBA...12 weeks...
    [​IMG]

One of the 3 LBxRIRs...also 12 weeks...
    [​IMG]
    They look just like a LB, and get the most amazing bronze highlights in their hackle feathers.

LBxBR, xRIR, xWL...about 8 weeks.
    [​IMG]

You'd think the white Leghorn cross would look like the LB, but this one is a sooty dalmation. [​IMG] She's sweet, though.

10. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Last year we hatched 2 eggs under our broody Jersey Black Giant, Lou. One egg was hers and the other was from Rachel, our Partridge Plymouth Rock. Dad is Sam our Golden Campine roo. Dolley is all black except for a few spots of gold edging on her back feathers.

Sam
    [​IMG]

Rachel
    [​IMG]

Rachel's chick, Hannah
    [​IMG]

Lou with her day old chick, Dolley
    [​IMG]

Dolley
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by