1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I wanna spoil my babies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by luvorng, Aug 5, 2014.

1. luvorng

luvorng Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2014
    Austin
    What are some good treats I can start giving my baby chicks. They are still in the first week. Is it to early to introduce treats.? Like egg or meal worms? Any suggestions?

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    WELCOME TO BYC!

Before they reach week 8 stick to soft foods such as eggs and oatmeal. After that you can introduce veggies, fruits, bread, mealworms, etc. Always make sure they have grit.

1 person likes this.
  3. bobwhitequails

bobwhitequails Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2014
    Mine LOVED dried mealworms. They continued to eat them through adulthood. :)

1 person likes this.
  4. hllewellyn

hllewellyn Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2014
    Cut up cooked spaghetti is funny to watch :) they run and fight over it, it doesn't have much nutritional value though so only good for an occasional treat/play thing!

1 person likes this.
  5. ShockValue

ShockValue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    West Sound, Washington
    The first food that mine went crazy for was grapes. When they were littles I had to smoosh them a bit so they would grasp that there was good stuff hiding under the skin.

Yogurt was their next favorite treat. It took a little coaxing (I put some of their feed in it), but after the first few "got it" they all went ape for it.

[​IMG]

6. luvorng

luvorng Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2014
    Austin
    Have the girls some boiled egg tonight. First time trying it and they loved it. So funny how they grab it and run around. Loving being a chicken owner. :)

1 person likes this.
  7. antoniaaa

antoniaaa New Egg

Aug 5, 2014
    Some would say that learning these tricks is of no use, but there are clear advantages to using them. For instance, there are events that are organized in various parts of the globe, for the sole purpose of having the expert RC helicopter pilots from different regions, converge together and show off their 3D flying skills. 3D flying involves the most advanced flying tricks.
    great rc

8. luvmychix2014

luvmychix2014 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2014
    Hutchinson, Kansas
    My chicks are 2 weeks can I start treats?

9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    yup

10. Zoofee

Zoofee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2013
    Inwood, WV
    I raise Silkies and the best bet is to wait till they are no longer under the heat lamp to give them anything but chick starter and water that has vitamins in it.

11. luvmychix2014

luvmychix2014 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2014
    Hutchinson, Kansas
    So I tried giving the chicks boiled eggs...they wouldn't take a second look at them lol...fail for my spoiled brats lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by