I Want a Big Metal Sculpture of a Chicken for My Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by calista, Aug 5, 2011.

1. calista

calista Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2010
    I'm only being half-facetious in posting this thread, as DH said he would pay for a metal sculpture of a chicken as "yard art" for my coop.

I made the mistake of searching "metal chicken sculpture" on Google, and now I can't decide between my three favorites. What do you think?

This one is 15 feet tall and weighs 7500lbs, constructed from landfill compactor steel, a trenching machine, a road grader, and some tin roof. It's in Key West, so the shipping cost to get it to me would be murder: [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one's smaller (only 13 feet tall) and is made of really cool old chrome car bumpers. It's nearly as far away -- Alabama:

[​IMG]

And I guess this one of stainless steel and bronze in Australia is totally out of the question cost-wise:

[​IMG]

Okay, all kidding aside, has anyone ever made a metal chicken sculpture of ANY size? How would I find a metal sculpture artist who could use recycled materials to fashion my very own yard-art chicken?

You KNOW you want one... [​IMG]

2. NanaLantana

NanaLantana Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    Lantana, Florida
    Yes, I WANT ONE!! I really love the first one you posted, but it's a little too big for me. But I guess I could drive down to Key West to pick it up - - - - nah - Maybe I'll build my own some day. Old shovel heads, rake heads, etc might work. And lots of outdoor rustoleum paint!! I do have a welder - some old rebar - old steel tool pieces - and 24 hours every day - - - [​IMG]

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Of COURSE I want one!

Luckily, I do have a rooster weathervane on the coop, and some small, yard art chickens, but I truly need a huge metal chicken sculpture. You betcha!

4. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    They have a small version of these at a local BBQ place near me, my DH is afraid I'm gonna use his truck to steal it!

5. neVar

neVar Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Dundurn, Sask
  6. calista

calista Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2010
    Quote:Ha, ha -- thanks for that most entertaining story and another possible to add to my wish list.

The five-foot chicken at the front door was priceless. [​IMG]

7. chickiepie

chickiepie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Bucks County PA
    [​IMG]

I really love those! I grew up very near Fruita, Colorado, home of Mike the Headless Chicken, and a while back they had a local sculpter make a statue of him. He made it all out of rusty parts...very cool!!

8. 8WarEagleChicks

8WarEagleChicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2010
    Concord,NC
    I saw a place off I-20W just as you cross over into Alabama. Next to a fireworks stand. He had fun BIG (6 ft I'm guessing and smaller) metal sculpture roosters.

I would have stopped but

#1- my kids were not in the mood for one of my "chicken capers"
    #2 the van was already full!
    #3 - I didn't have any money to "invest" [​IMG]

One of these days...

9. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    I've been searching for a recycled metal rooster which I've seen in the past. I may end up going with a cast stone rooster though since the metal ones tend to be pricey! Since I don't have a real rooster this guy will guard our walk in run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by