i want a broody hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by polloboy, Mar 7, 2009.

1. polloboy

polloboy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2008
    oklahoma
    how old does a cochin need to be to go broody

2. WiseChicks

WiseChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Hudson, WI
    I had one go broody at about 5mo old.

3. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    chickens have a mind of there own each are different. I have 2 silkies who are broody as crazy and 2 others who have not gone broody a day in there life. It just depends my 1st silkie went broody when she was 7 months. My oldest girl didnt go broody till she was 1 year old. So it just depends on the bird. You cannot make them go broody they do it on there own.

4. polloboy

polloboy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2008
    oklahoma
    well they wil be a year on the 21st they have a a nest full of eggs but they wont sit

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I'm right there with you. I'd love to have a broody hen. After asking some questions about broody nature I tried an experiment. I marked some eggs and left them in the nest hoping to stimulate a hen to go broody. It didn't work. [​IMG]
    I guesss like everything else with my chickens, they'll go broody if and when they get darn good 'n ready to.

6. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    My Silkie goes broody if I don't gather the eggs up fast enough..lol.. good luck- I hope you get a broody hen.

7. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    if u want broody get a silkie hen!!

8. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    or a buff orpington! wow do they go broody [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  9. freddy22

freddy22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Illinois
    i beg to differ that you can not make a hen go broody....and i base this on my story from today......

Within the month i had posted something along the lines of " I want a broody hen, can i make it happen? etc...i wanted a broody hen and i have a 3 yr. old BO that as we know has a potential to be a good mother since she is BO....

well i put about 15 golfballs in her nest and let her lay an egg a day in the nest with the golfballs, and everyday i would take her egg out and only HER egg so the balls were still there.....gave it a week and began growing impatient and today when i went out to feed i find her sitting on the nest, i thought, " ok, she is laying her daily egg", but when i went out later that afternoon she is still laying on it......so now im thinkin cool, MAYBE she is going broody...

Tonight, i went out to feed her and when i opened the gate, she slowly got off the nest got a drink of water, pecked on the ground for food, took a huge poop, and after 5-10 min, she is back on the nest as we speak keeping her future babies warm.......

Coincidence - idk, but i do know that this is the first time in 3 yrs that she has done this and i WAS TRYING to get her to go broody, 2 weeks later she is now heatin up some eggs....... you tell me?

10. happyhens

happyhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    KY
    Having a full nest encourages the hen(s) to go broody, it doesn't make them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by