I want a hen harness - is there such a thing?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by lengel, Mar 26, 2009.

1. lengel

lengel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    I want to free range my hens under my supervision but they can't go far for a lot of reasons - predators, one neighbor who can't deal with chickens on his property, another neighbor's dog etc.

I have 50 foot leashes for my dogs. Is there such a thing as a harness for hens that I could attach the leash to so that they can't stray too far?

2. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Don't think there is one, and would be reluctant to use anyway in case they all got tangled up together.......

3. lengel

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    Quote:What if it was just one hen at a time? Do you think that she would get into trouble then?

4. ravencreek

ravencreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Benton TN
    They make harnesses for Cockatoos and other large birds. I don't see why you can't get one large enough for a hen. You could try using one of those adjustable rabbit harnesses. I have one and I am gonna try it out on a chicken now.

5. lengel

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    Quote:Where did you get it?

6. cwc362

cwc362 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Huntingdon- West Tn
    They make leg tethers for Roosters . Guess that would work for any chicken. But I don't know where you would get them.

7. lengel

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
  8. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Quote:Well I'll be darned, have never seen that before....good luck [​IMG]

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

That's the harness I use to leash up the birds if I am taking them to Seattle or out on the town for some reason like show and tell for classrooms. However, I use them so the bird can't get away if it gets spooked and tries to fly off or run away. I would worry that tethering a bird without a highly fenced in/covered/electrified area for them to be tethered... it would be like putting a meal on a string.

10. lengel

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    Quote:Oh no. These would be supervised situations. For example, I want to garden an area near our pond and would like to have a few hens with me to eat mosquitoes, etc but I would be concerned that they would wander into the brush or onto the neighbor's property and I wouldn't be able to retrieve them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by