1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

i want a new sewing machine

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by conny63malies, May 20, 2008.

1. conny63malies

conny63malies Crowing

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    My old one(well its like 6-7 years) only has a few different stitches and just doesnt work quite right anymore. I was quoted 75$ just for a overhaul, additional parts and labor not included. So i am looking atleast at 120$+. The machine only cost 129$. So i might as well invest a few bucks more and buy a new one. What are you guys use. Any particular brand or model that you like?.
    I mainly want to use it for making clothes for the kids and little stuff around the house, like kitchen curtains, pillows..etc.
    I dont really spend more than 250$.

2. bamadominaker

bamadominaker Songster

Apr 7, 2008
    Honoraville, Alabama
    I have a Singer and I love it. I am looking into getting a babylock for quilting, my Singer has 3 different setting and 36 different stiching opitions and several different feet, buuton hole included. I am not sure of the series number though. I love mine. It was less than 250.00. I have an overlocker as well. I love my sewing machine because I can pick it up and carry it alond where ever I go. Good Luck. I would like to get the disney embrodier but it is still to high.
    I will try to det the series number and let you know what it is.

Aimie

Singer has factory refurbished on there website and one is a quilting combo for 149.00.

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  3. Bi0sC0mp

Bi0sC0mp Songster

Apr 21, 2008
    Raiford,FLA
  4. Parson's Wife

Parson's Wife Blessed Abundantly

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    I bought my singer thru Hancocks Fabric promotion. I don't have the serger (it's on my wish list)...also want an embroidery machine.
    My mother gave me an older Singer...
    When I had to purchase a foot pedal...I found out that it is expensive to repair, but they rarely need it...my machine is made with metal and not plastic parts. I paid about $300 15 years ago.
    Mom has 5 and they are all going strong...some are over 25 years old. Her machines see alot!!! of use.[​IMG]

Edited to add: The reason I needed to replace my foot pedal, due to all my moves...it was lost.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2008
  5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I have the Babylock Esante - it does embroidery as well - its lovely, has a touch screen with a help menu etc.... LOVE IT
    Edit to add - its pretty expensive, sorry I didn't read the $$$$$ Limit.

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  6. bamadominaker

bamadominaker Songster

Apr 7, 2008
    Honoraville, Alabama
    Wildsky,

I have already annoucned that the Babylock has to be a Christmas/Birthday/Anniversary present, because of the price but it will be well worth it in the long run.

Aimie

7. swiftfoot

swiftfoot Songster

Dec 23, 2007
    Blountville , TN
    i have several machines but i wouldnt get a singer (they moved to japan)if you do get the older ones before they moved
    i have a voyager 17 longarm quilting machine
    2 antique singers
    1 embroidery singer
    1pacenette pc8500
    1 janome quilter
    i know im spoiled [​IMG]

8. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:Yeah we used our tax return money a few years ago and bought it - and also the 8 thread overlocker with the coverstitch.

9. conny63malies

conny63malies Crowing

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I got a overlock, but rarely use it. Its a pain in the rear to threat those. Is brother still american made?

10. bamadominaker

bamadominaker Songster

Apr 7, 2008
    Honoraville, Alabama
    Quote:Have you ever tried to tie a weavers knot and then pull them through, instead of rethreading everyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: