I WANT A ROOSTER BUT DON'T KNOW WHERE TO START!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ChknPoo, Mar 2, 2017.

1. ChknPoo

ChknPoo Just Hatched

Feb 27, 2017
    Hello everyone I have 30 White Leghorn hens,they are all 1 year old. I would like to add a rooster or 2 to my flock, but I don't know where to start. How many should I get? How old should he be? What breed would be good ( I would like some color and variation to my flock)? What else do I need to know about adding a roo to my flock?

1 person likes this.
  2. SueT

SueT Overrun With Chickens

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    I suggest you look through forums on the subject of roosters, integrating roosters, rooster to hen ratio, how to ensure a well mannered rooster etc. You will find a veritable wealth of information and learn a lot from those who have been there done that...

3. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Roosters are great.

If I were you i would definitely look into getting atleats 3 young ones.

I would also fidn many threads on roosters.

4. ChknPoo

ChknPoo Just Hatched

Feb 27, 2017
    I have been looking through the threads, but like you said there is a LOT of information to sort through. Tons of different opinions for a newbie to sort through. I thought maybe if I asked the questions I needed info on those that had experience in those areas might help answer them or at least give me their opinion for me to get an idea from.

5. ChknPoo

ChknPoo Just Hatched

Feb 27, 2017
    thank you, what do you consider young? Sorry I'm very new to this chicken raising thing, and BYC I guess I'm not very tech savvy as I find it a little frustrating to navigate on here.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  6. peacock12345

peacock12345 Just Hatched

Mar 2, 2017
    Roosters are great ive got 1 and he really takes care of my hens peafowl and rabbits. He stands out of the hens and makes my flock more colourful
    You should get more then 1
    Last year my rooster and 1 of my hans got 3 chicks

7. ChknPoo

ChknPoo Just Hatched

Feb 27, 2017
    peacock thank you, I was thinking maybe getting 2, don't want the girls wearing one out [​IMG]! And I want chicks as all my hens are the same age, I really would like to add younger ones as time goes on. Do you know if any breed of rooster is OK to add or should I be looking for specific breeds?

8. peacock12345

peacock12345 Just Hatched

Mar 2, 2017
    It shouldnt matter on the breed of the rooster as long as its not an aseel one as they fight different species of chicken so i hear but u should probably get one around the same age of ure hens

9. SueT

SueT Overrun With Chickens

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
  10. ChknPoo

ChknPoo Just Hatched

Feb 27, 2017
    Awesome thanks again, do I have to house them differently than the hens, I'm not exactly sure how big my coop is but it's big enough I could put a master bedroom and maybe bathroom too in there. The 30 hens don't put a dent in the space.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by