I want a rooster but who?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by twerp, Feb 28, 2012.

1. twerp

twerp New Egg

Feb 28, 2012
    I have 5 hens, mixed breeds, and I want to bring in a roo. I live where no roos are allowed so I am looking for a minimal crow-er. Is there such a thing?

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Not a good idea, sorry. You will be heartbroken when caught. Trust me.

There aren't many roosters which "crow less" than others; it's very situational.

3. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I have to agree - although, of course, it's your decision. I love my rooster - but I live out in the country and there are no regulations about roosters. I have two mature roosters - and they both crow. Not a lot, but enough that anyone nearby would know we had them. I don't know if some of the bantam breeds might be quieter crow-ers - maybe someone who has bantams can respond.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Not so you'd notice! I mean, notice any difference. My bantam breed Roos throw everything they've got into their crows! I had to rehome some of the bantam Roos because of it.

5. twerp

twerp New Egg

Feb 28, 2012
    So I am in an area where everyone and their mothers have a flock and my neighbors all know and are bribed with fresh eggs. I just don't want to get on their nerves since it's not allowed. I just know how much they would like a dude around. They keep sticking their butts up each time I pet them.

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    So, you're looking for advice to help you break the law? If roosters aren't allowed, then don't get a rooster. They all crow, they all make noise. You may one that attacks a child that wanders into your yard. Are you ready to face the consequences of that? It could get expensive. Your chickens will be fine without "a dude around". Of course, it's entirely your decision if you want to break the law, pay the fines, and take a chance on irritating your neighbors.

7. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I would talk to all of your immediate neighbors and see if they would mind you having a roo. You know, since they'll be the ones to report you for being unlawful.....good luck :D

8. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    A big circle of immediate neighbors. Mine was heard and identified at about a mile by a friend, Course there aren't many other roos around for her to be confused who it was.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  9. twerp

twerp New Egg

Feb 28, 2012
    Thanks for all the advice. I'll feel it out with my neighbors. I know they will be fine without a rooster, but it is obvious they are instinctively looking for one.

10. twerp

twerp New Egg

Feb 28, 2012
    wow. that's some lungs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by