I Want A Sillkie's flock thread---chicken jobs.

Mutchi

Crowing
Apr 5, 2021
hamilton MT
My Coop
My Coop
we have a large flock. ( i dont even know how much we have now) but in the flock theres a group of seven, those seven are the omegas of the flock, the omegas are treated poorly and eat last. they get bullied freacwently and arent loved by the flock. i dont stop it cus its the way of the chickens and if i interfear then i would mess with the flock pecking order. one of the omegas had a fight with a aprentice and had made her back off (aprentices are a higher level in the pecking order but is still being mentored by a mentor.) she is slowly slithering out of the omega group.
a omega:
IMG_20210510_101509.jpg

then we have the highest on the pecking order, smokey the barred rock, shes the sherriff of the flock, or in other words, the alfa. she had earnd her spot when she had won a fight with the highest before her, golden, witch now is a med chicken that keeps the aprentices warm before i find out they are hurt. she is allso training a chicken to be the next med chicken, bronze. thats what is the most tragic chicken jobs.

Apprentices are flock chicks six moons or older, training to be a warrior (or sometimes a medicine chick) under a mentor. ... An apprentice becomes a warrior once their mentor or flock leader thinks they have learned enough or proved they are worthy of becoming warriors.

Warriors are adult flock chickens who feed and protect their flock. Their duties are extremely important to the overall survival of the flock.

Medicine chickens are flock chickens who help warm the ones with diseases and injuries, and who receive directions and guidance from the ones that fly. They have their own nest in their flocks coop, where they sleep, store food, and keep the wounded or sick warm. Medicine cats are not allowed to take mates or have chicks.

Leaders are the head of their flock. Their personality is the same as their flock's and describes how their flockmates treat others. The word of the flock leader is law, proclaimed by the feather code, and all other chickens in the flock must obey them.

A queen is a chicken that is expecting or has recently layed to a batch of chicks. Though known to be overly-protective of chicks, queens usually are compassionate and kind, and in many cases they have been known to convince their mates or flock leaders to take in birds in need of help.

Prey, or fresh-kill, is a flock term for the animals, both large and small, that are caught for the purpose of consumption. (i put this there cus i see my warriors kill large rats and small birds that try to eat their food.)

I only started my flock last year with Pips and Fries.

Pippin is the flock leader. She looks like a rooster and is the biggest hen! It's her job to scream at the top of her lungs nearly every morning! She has always wanted her own chicks and constantly goes broody. She is broody on [hopefully fertile] polish eggs at the moment so she isn't doing that anymore. (On the right of this photo)
IMG-20210403-WA0017~2.jpg

Fries (left of photo) is a follower. She is always right by Pippin's side! She is a bit lonely while Pippin is broody. She may be below pippin in the P.O (pecking order), but the chicks try to avoid her. She isn't afraid to fight for her place in the P.O!

20210518_075121_HDR.jpg

Pickles is our little boy. He is 11wks old. He is in change of looking after his girls. He eats like a pig. He is a very sweet boy and always makes me laugh!

20210509_163837_HDR.jpg

Kiwi is my special girl! Very cuddly and sweet. She is quite brave; She pecked Pippin on the face once!!!!! She is always is the host of chick cuddles!

20210509_153805_HDR.jpg

Blue (front right) was helped out of the egg. She has always been a bit smaller and weaker than her siblings. She is the last to get food since she's at the bottom of the P.O but her siblings look after her well

I only started my flock last year with Pips and Fries.

Pippin is the flock leader. She looks like a rooster and is the biggest hen! It's her job to scream at the top of her lungs nearly every morning! She has always wanted her own chicks and constantly goes broody. She is broody on [hopefully fertile] polish eggs at the moment so she isn't doing that anymore. (On the right of this photo)
View attachment 2679992

Fries (left of photo) is a follower. She is always right by Pippin's side! She is a bit lonely while Pippin is broody. She may be below pippin in the P.O (pecking order), but the chicks try to avoid her. She isn't afraid to fight for her place in the P.O!

View attachment 2679998
Pickles is our little boy. He is 11wks old. He is in change of looking after his girls. He eats like a pig. He is a very sweet boy and always makes me laugh!

View attachment 2680001
Kiwi is my special girl! Very cuddly and sweet. She is quite brave; She pecked Pippin on the face once!!!!! She is always is the host of chick cuddles!

View attachment 2680011
Blue (front right) was helped out of the egg. She has always been a bit smaller and weaker than her siblings. She is the last to get food since she's at the bottom of the P.O but her siblings look after her well
So then blue is a omega of the flock... interesting...

Update!
I do t think three of the omega group are omega still! I saw smokey start clucking pretty loud and all chickens came. I think they had a meeting or something 🤔. But I did later saw that three of the omegas were hanging with the apprentices...

Back
Top Bottom