I want backyard goats please help!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chickieluver26, Aug 20, 2014.

1. chickieluver26

chickieluver26 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2013
    San Antonio Texas
    Hello where I live my backyard is 1 acre and I think I want goats!!! We already have chickens and dogs which we love dearly. I think mini Nubians, mini Lamancha, or Nigerian dwarf goats would work. I would like to get either 1 doeling and one doe or a doe and a whether as I want one or two babies and an adult I could milk. I was wondering about how much would they cost a month? What's the best breed for my situation? I was thinking I could turn a three level tree house base into a shelter by adding solid walls to the top level, would I have to take off the slide or could they play on it. I would make the main area our side yard and probably put the shelter there. And our main yard and overgrown failed garden are where I could let them to forage during part of the day. Could everyone post pictures of their goats and shelters. Please tell me ANYTHING I really need to know thank you!!!
    -Alicia

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  2. Rhandi74

Rhandi74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    East TN
    Inside my goat shelter
    [​IMG]
    Outside the shelter, I have since enclosed the top but my computer is not working and that is where my pics are stored
    [​IMG]
    Other side of the inside
    [​IMG]
    Eva a Lamancha doe and he twins CiCi and Orien with my niece. She was purchased underweight and this pic is from when I first got her.
    [​IMG]
    CiCi Eva's doeling
    [​IMG]
    Buttercup a pygmy nigerian dwarf mix
    [​IMG]
    Noel Buttercup's daughter
    [​IMG]
    Brea a Pygmy
    [​IMG]
    Bubbles with her twins Pygmy Nigerian mixes
    [​IMG]

My first year with goats was great for me but this year seems to be tougher. You should have a good loose mineral out free choice and since they are only on an acre they will need free choice hay. Cost depends on what kind of goats you get, age, body condition, and if you are going to be breeding. Some goats do not need grain and others do.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  3. chickieluver26

Apr 22, 2013
    San Antonio Texas
    Anyone else???

4. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Rhandi seems to have covered it. You might go to the farm advisor's office. They should have some booklets on goats there. Go to caprinesupply.com and send for their catalog. There is a lot of information in it including some inexpensive books for beginning goat keepers you can order.

5. Shadowhatter

Shadowhatter Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2013
    Another thing is that goat eat, A LOT. Over time you will have to expand your land because it will be dead dirt. I would only put 4 goats on a acre.

Hope this helps, goats are so much fun. If you have kids I set up little jump obstacles and jumped my goats. BEST TIME EVER. I jumped my goat around 2' and I was so proud!!!

6. Shadowhatter

Shadowhatter Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2013
    But I would not go that high for a smaller breed, my goats were HUGE!!

7. clport

clport Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Oregon City, OR
    I answered your questions in the other thread about your ranch. Let me know if you have more questions. I think Nigerian Dwarf goats would be a good breed for you and there are some excellent breeders in south Texas. If you got two, a wether and a doe, your wether would let you know when your doe is in heat. He'd also act as a teaser to get your girl ready to be bred. However, some girls don't need the help!

8. chickieluver26

Apr 22, 2013
    San Antonio Texas
    Ok thank you so much I'm hoping I will be able to get some goats here, there, or both by this time next year

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by