I want chickens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by nomnomeggs, Mar 22, 2015.

1. nomnomeggs

nomnomeggs New Egg

Mar 22, 2015
    Hi, my name is Jake and im new to this site

iv been looking all over the internet and i cant seem to find what im looking for. so i thought id ask on here

Basically i want chickens :) but my garden has no grass.. its pebbled .... landlord also wont allow me to change it to grass etc......

does this mean i cant have chickens? even if i put wood chip in the chicken coop and run?

2. Magpie-ah

Magpie-ah Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2014
    Hello, welcome to BackYardChickens! :)

Chickens should be alright on pebbles, I have never tried it myself, but I don't think it will hurt their feet. They might miss out on pecking and scratching in the grass, but I don't think it would be a problem. Do provide them with a dust bath though, perhaps a flower pot filled with soil, so that they can sratch about in there. If you do decide to use wood chip, I would recommend using natural wood chip that hasn't had chemicals sprayed on it, as this could cause serious health issues. Also, I do know that the poo on the pebbles wouldn't be very nice, It would probably smell lots but the rain should wash the poo away. Also, does your landlord mind you keeping chickens? Good luck and I hope that you can get them. They are amazing and I cannot imagine ever living without chickens again. Let us know what happens and tell us if you do get them and what breed. Best wishes.... :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by