I want chicks to dig me

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by InheritedChickens, Sep 14, 2009.

1. InheritedChickens

InheritedChickens New Egg

Aug 31, 2009
    I have three chicks that were hatched by two of my younger hens (they both sat on the nest and they both brood the chicks together). One of the moms is very fearful of people, we got her from a chicken factory, and the other one is very friendly, she was a stray that I adopted from the animal shelter I work at.

I really want these chicks to be friendly. What should I do to get them to like me more? They are only 8 days old. I go out and pick them up and try to socialize with them a couple times a day. But they run from me and I have to corner them to pick them up. I feel like I might be traumatizing them by trying to socialize them. Should I bring them in the house and put them in the brooder or should I continue to allow the moms to mom them?

A little background: I only have three grown hens, Goldie Hen, Cluckers McQueen, and Little. I got the fertile eggs from a woman off craigslist. The two moms have been very attentive and so far everyone seems happy and healthy. Goldie Hen, the single hen who is not caring for chicks, ignores the other chickens and loves to hang out with her people.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Click link for photo of two moms and two hidden chicks
    http://gallery.me.com/niachristy/100016/Chicken family/web.jpg

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    First, [​IMG] from Texas.

Second, [​IMG] to you for the way you rescued your chickens.

As for your chicks running from you, don't worry, the more you hold them and get them comfortable with you, the less they will run from you.

I think as long as their moms are taking good care of them I would leave them.

Don't worry, in no time at all, your "chicks will dig you".[​IMG] (Great title by the way).

3. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    Lots of handling and lots of treats!!!

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

When mine were about 3 weeks old I started hand feeding meal worms. They warmed right up to me after that.

They went from running away and screaming at me, to this because of the meal worms:

[​IMG]

But of course you'll have to have a way to catch them to feed them meal worms, I immagine if they are totally free ranging with non-friendly mom's they might be hard to get to come up to you.

5. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    It's wonderful that your two disparate hens have worked together on this hatching project. Considering their backgrounds of being caged and orphaned it's a wonder they get along with each other and from what you describe they are doing spectacularly well.

I am guessing that when you enter the pen or the run to gather up and snuggle chickies you are physically cornering them with your body -- is that right? I would suggest using a piece of cardboard or a frame of chicken wire -- this will make them less aware that their area is being made smaller and smaller till you catch somebody. rather than being cornered by your body and your shoes and your hands it will be a less traumatic catch.

In addition bring them treats -- bits of fruit, worms, something they like. Yogurt on a spoon -- so they associate you with good stuff.

That's what I would do.

Nice job rescuing these birds and rehabbing them into a family -- that's awesome.

Jenny

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:I agree with this completely!!!! HANDLE HANDLE HANDLE. The more you handle them the friendlier they will be as adults. The ones I didn't handle I have to chase all over kingdom come. The ones I did wait for me to pick them up.

7. Terri

Terri Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    Level Cross, NC
    bribe them with grapes, they love them and will follow you anywhere, chickens are so easy.

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Once they figure out you are the food lady or guy, they will come running whenever they see you! Of course, once they get their bellies full, they'll probably run away from you, but for the few minutes between them spotting you and you filling their bowls, you will be #1 in their book! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The other posters are right, bribe them with treats, put a goody in your hand and hold it out and wait til they come to get it. Sit with them, also. Just pull up a chair and watch. When one comes near, offer a treat in the hand. Don't chase or reach, just wait.

10. osagebill88

osagebill88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    Osage Co
    First you take a sock and you stuff it...oh different chick. What a great subject line lol. treats all the way.........cant go wrong they will flock to you soon enough

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by