i want colorful eggs... (help!)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BellLisamo, Mar 1, 2009.

1. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    What breeds do i need?

I have plenty of americanas... They lay green or blue right?

Who lays pink??

I have polish, leghorn, wyandotte/bo mixed, black astrolorp, black sex link, and barred rock. (Those are my baby chicks who wont lay til next year obviously)

Please tell me who lays what (please please dont make me search...im sure you experts can tell me right off). I know my polish and leghorns lay white.

2. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
  3. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Quote:yay!!! thank you thank you thank you!!!! [​IMG]

4. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    As far as I've read... the pink, lavender, and gold-colored eggs come from Easter Eggers, which most hatcheries sell as "Ameraucanas" or "Araucanas" so if you have some of those, you're all set. Most of them lay blue or green eggs like true Amers and Araus but they also lay brown, pink, etc. It's kind of a crap shoot as far as I know. True Araucanas lay only blue eggs and true Ameraucanas lay only geren or blue-green eggs, I think. All other breeds lay white, off-white, or varying shades of brown eggs.

If you would like to learn more about EEs and their egg colors, check out the Easter Eggers Club at :http://www.eastereggers.com/

I am new to chickens myself and have only read all this information recently myself. I am currenly raising five Ameraucana chicks from Murray McMurray hatchery, which I've been told are really EEs.

good luck to you!

5. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Quote:whooo hoooo. awesome. thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by