i want double yolk eggs to incubate??????????

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by countrychics, Jan 27, 2010.

1. countrychics

countrychics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2010
    south boston virginia
    in my latest ventures on youtube.com , i see sooo many double yolk eggs...even the egg within an egg...? weird? anyhay. Does anyone out there know , the breeds the double yolk is most common in? and secondly where i can get some of these eggs for hatching double yolkers???? thanks in advance...dana at countrychics......[​IMG]

2. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    I've gotten double yolkers from my EE, Buff Orp, and Barred Rocks. It seems like the sex links put out lots of double yolked eggs.

Hatching double yolk eggs usually ends in one or two dead chicks, which doesn't sound fun to me. I'm sure others will chime in with their experiences.

I'm hatching this spring, and I will be certain to NOT put any double yolkers in, because I want as little carnage in the incubator as possible. That's just me...

3. countrychics

Jan 21, 2010
    south boston virginia
    Quote:thanks for the insight..would not want a bad hatch, but would love to crack open double yolked eggs for the family...ppl on youtube.com, seem to have the vast majority of their eggs as double yolkers... i want some of these eggs to hatch very badly..not to incubate for reproduction, but to have in an egg..eatin' pen... how do you tell a double yolker before incubating? in a candlier? the same way...? some say you can see by the size of the egg... plus, it was stated more of a dominate feature in more mature" aged" hens???? thanks 4 the reply...[​IMG]

4. BeardedLadyFarm

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    I misunderstood your title then. Double yolk eggs almost always need help hatching and even then you tend to lose one or the other.

They are often much larger, and longer than regular eggs. After you're used to seeing the normal size, you know by looking when you have a double on your hands.

I say that some of the sex links (comets, stars, etc) lay lots more double yolks because I'm always having friends ask me about the double yolk eggs they got at the grocery. Most of those would be laid by production breeds, which would be, by and large, sex link hybrids, and generally younger birds as well. One friend got jumbo eggs at Whole Foods, and all 12 were doubles!

You can make your own sex links from various breeds, but I think the hatcheries maintain specific production lines so that they hybrids will be super productive. You'll get a few doubles from almost any chicken, but get a few production girls from a hatchery and you'll probably get more.

5. countrychics

Jan 21, 2010
    south boston virginia
    [​IMG] awesome, thanks ..I'll see if i can locate... i'm hoping to find someone here that has know double yolkers for sale, as i have golden comet sexlinks, rir, austrolourpes, and sooooo many more, ... and i've yet to get a doublle yolk, not even from my easter eggers... [​IMG] ..but i will seek a breeder.... [​IMG] t.y again!!!!!!!!!! very helpful

6. BeardedLadyFarm

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Maybe post another thread about who has chickens that lay the most double yolk eggs. Your title sounds like you actually want the double yolked eggs to incubate, not just eggs of chickens that CAN lay double yolked eggs.

I'm REALLY surprised that you haven't gotten any yet, as you have some productive breeds. I've gotten 3 that I'm aware of, 1 each from 3 different pullets. I only have 8 laying. I got one today actually...

I bet as spring comes along you'll find one or two. They are pretty cool, and pretty common really. Now that egg in an egg thing... That's something else!

7. Egg_newton

Egg_newton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    East Central Indiana
    When my RIR started laying we got lots of double yolks. It is common when their reproductive stuff is just getting started.

8. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    My black Penedesenca layed alot of double yokers, I have one in the egg basket now. If you didnt live so far away, you could have it.......

9. countrychics

Jan 21, 2010
    south boston virginia
    Quote:is your chicks eggs fertile?? like could i buy some to hatch to get my own double yolk layers???
    [​IMG]

10. countrychics

Jan 21, 2010
    south boston virginia
    Quote:goood idea...thanks!!!!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by