I want ducks...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Jdc361, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Jdc361

Jdc361 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2015
    ok so I'm going to use my old dog house for a shelter and will get two. They are either going to be rouens or khaki campbells. I'm not sure on gender tho. It's from a mixed bin at tractor supply so I could get two boys, two girls, or a boy and a girl. Any tips? How's should I do the little pond set up?

2. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    Welcome to the world of duckdom! :p There's a LOT you need to learn before taking the plunge. Ducks require a lot more time and energy than chickens do, but in my opinion they're ten times more rewarding! Is your yard securely fenced off? If not, a doghouse just won't provide enough protection from predators. If you have sub-freezing temperatures in winter you're going to want a better insulated nesting area where they can stay warm and out of the elements. as well.

As for gender, if you're only getting two I recommend two females, although a male/female pair is good if you plan to hatch babies. Just keep in mind that with only one female, you may have to separate them at times because he could overbreed her. Two drakes will get along great too, but you won't have eggs and if a female ever comes between them it'll be a disaster, we're talking armagedduck!

Then there's the issue of food, foraging, noise level, and the fact that ducks are very, very good at getting into trouble. But it's all part of their charm. :p

Sorry to throw so much at you at once, I just get so excited when someone says they want to get ducks! Best of luck with your new feathered babies!

3. Jdc361

Feb 14, 2015

I will have it fenced off and it's going to be next to the chicken run. It's going to basically be the same thing as the chicken run just with a pond. But my question is, it's not going to have electricity so should I have an in ground, or above ground pond for them?

4. seashoreduck

seashoreduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2013
    1) buy vitamans, niacin and other probiotics. Some come in a mix so its super easy.
    2) ducks love wet but need to be dry--make sure you search BYC for some good ideas
    3) ducks need to be at 90 degrees for their first week and then 5 degrees less every week after that. Given most of the US still is winterish, it will probably be 3-4 weeks before they can go outside unless you live in Flordia or texas. Mine seem to be self-selecting a temp of 75 at the age of 2 weeks zero days but they need warm options.
    4) ducks in small flocks need attention. 2 ducks is great but they still may get lonely.

5. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    the enclosure your talking abiut being fenced in and everything no there needs to be a roof to it. i use chicken and hardware cloth for out roof and it it nailed/ stappled into the roof of our coops then there is the coop inside of the fenced area becuase u can get predators in there.

how big of a pond are u thinking

6. Jdc361

Feb 14, 2015

Well, big enough for 2 ducks

7. Jdc361

Feb 14, 2015
    Like a kiddie pool

8. Kaessa

Kaessa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2015
    Fruita, CO
    Above ground is probably better, you'll have to clean it every few days. You'll need to be able to dump it out or rig up some sort of drainage system for it. We're debating a modified French drain under a kiddie pool (dig a deep hole in the ground, put in big rocks, then some smaller rocks, then some gravel) so we can just pull a plug and let it drain right into the ground. I'm not sure that this system won't clog, though. I guess we'll find out!

9. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    okay thats going to get dirty reall fast like really bad to where the water is toxic and green/very dark brown and its gonna happen quick when they grow up

id just get a kiddie pool that able to be cleaned daily

10. Jdc361

Feb 14, 2015
    Ok I'm gonna do some sort of drainage system in it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by