I want geese

Discussion in 'Geese' started by 19Dawn76, Oct 16, 2009.

1. 19Dawn76

19Dawn76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Toadsuck, AR
    I went ot the fair this week and I fell in love with the huge geese they had there. I mean these things were bigger than turkeys! Does anyone sell geese eggs? What kind do you have? How much?

2. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

I've got Buffs that will be laying next spring. They are classified as medium sized geese and are not as large and the big Chinese geese and they aren't as aggressive either. I like my Buffs though what I really wanted was Pilgrims.

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    You must have been looking at Africans. Those things are HUGE!!!! Gorgeous critters [​IMG]

4. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:I have had African (heavy), Pilgrims (medium) Romans & China (light) and I thought the rule of thumb was the smaller the goose the more noisy and aggressive they were. Than I got a rescue Buff gander and that rule was shattered by this bird. My big old African gander was the boss but he never had to fight, he just fluffed up his feathers so he looked huge and lowered that massive head and the other goose would back down fast he was really very mellow and never went out of his way to pick on other birds and loved to have ducklings or goslings hide under him. The Buff was a flood survivor and I knew nothing about him so I put him in Quarantine for 3 weeks. As soon as I let him out he raced up to the African and beat the tar out of him to the point that I had to break it up. Well he was the new boss and he wouldn't let the African anywhere near the rest of the gaggle. The African would run (wattle) away if he saw the buff and the buff would chase him down and try to kill him every time. I finally had to put the old african in with the ducks to keep him away from that buff. They both met their end one day trying to protect their flock from a pair of dogs that broke in when the power was off to the fence that confined and protected them.

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Americans, pilgrims and sebastopols are some of the most docile breeds. I've heard that chinese are very aggressive (small bird, about 12#s adult weight), and I know that embdens are often aggressive (large bird, 30# adult weight). I have one embden and one blue american, and neither one of them are aggressive to people. The american is a big sissy, gets out of everyone's way. The embden is a bully, even to the american. It found out yesterday that biting the dog isn't a good idea, cause the dog will bite back [​IMG] But the embden bites everything else, I guess you could say it 'gooses' them [​IMG]

Geese are seasonal layers, so you probably won't find any eggs this time of year. In the spring though, there will be plenty of eggs floating around. [​IMG]

6. 19Dawn76

19Dawn76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Toadsuck, AR
    Quote:I did soem research and I guesss I will have to wait until next year for eggs. Has anyone ever eaten a goose or the eggs?

7. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I have geese, rescued a couple last year and then that went to 9 just this last week.

I know people eat their eggs and use them for crafts. I only just got some females, so I won't have eggs until spring.

As for what it tastes like. Geese are very different than chickens. I absolutely fell in love with mine, they are pets. We got them with the possibility of eating culls, but know that I've gotten to know them, it is completely out of the question. They are so completely different than chickens and so much like people. My first two had a sense of humor, they would scare the chickens and then come together and "laugh" and then do it again. [​IMG]

That being said, I've never had goose. [​IMG]

8. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:I agree, there's no way I could eat one of my geese, they are just too personable. Maybe if they were goose-raised, instead of people-raised, they'd be different. But they are like my babies, how can I eat my babies? [​IMG]

9. duck walk

duck walk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    white springs, fl
    I had 7 Brown Chinese but sold a pair as the ganders were fighting...I love my geese...as was previously posted, they have character and humor...my oldest gander, Barney, guards the group and is very proud and dignified...just a few minutes ago I saw him rounding up the 7 new young ducks I put in the lot with the rest of the flock today...they had gone to the back to sleep but everyone else sleeps close to the house under the security light...Barney went and got the "kids" and herded them to the front...I would gag and die a terrible death if I tried to eat one of them...never...ducks either...they get on very well with the ducks, but Barney and his mate Betty get first dibs on the clean kiddie pools...I have 3 pools in the lot and that pair gets the first refill when I clean them and refill every couple of days...for the rest, they are kind to the ducks and seem to enjoy their company...oh man, how did I end up with 30 ducks?

CHICKENZOO!!!! It is partly your fault!

[​IMG]

10. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:30?!?!?! [​IMG] And here I thought I was bad for having 15!! But that doesn't count the 25 guineas, 150+ chickens, 60+ quail, 20+ button quail, and the 2 geese [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by