I want goslings, however...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by taraann81, May 14, 2009.

1. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    I REALLY want some goslings. However all our birds free range and I don't want something that is going to terrorize my children. Is there a specific way to raise geese that will keep them from being (for lack of a better word)aggressive?
    Or a particular breed that is less aggressive than others?

2. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    my geese free range with the chickens and as long as they have plenty of room there shouldn't be a problem. I had african geese before and now sebs....they did fine.

3. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    As long as your children dont pick on them as babies, the geese should get along with them.
    Geese really arent really aggressive expect for when sitting or guarding a nest.
    They make good pets as long as everyone treats them right.
    I love my African geese [​IMG]

4. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Run-A-Muck Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey I have baby geese....I would love to give you some...but I don't know how to ship live animals and these are over the '3 day old' period hatcherys ship. They are anywhere from 2 weeks to 5 days....I have 26 baby geese....and my girls are starting to set on their 2nd nests (3 female geese).... [​IMG]

We personally don't have a problem with our geese being mean...They free range along with the chickens, turkeys, ducks....
    They all comingle together....
    The only time they can be a little edgy is when the girls are sitting on the nest--the boys are protective then...right now with the babies being so little they are very cautious too..but we can go right up to the babies and pick them up and the geese are pretty good..

My kids are outside all the time as am I....they don't bother us...

As I am typing this one of the males is walking up to the porch calling me outside and he has brought 9 babies with him..... [​IMG]

I love having our geese, just didn't expect so many babies this year....lol

5. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I have a chinese, an african, a toulouse and a sebbie.

All are well mannered and do not attack anyone. They do honk ferociously at strangers, but that is their job.

I raised them with respect and insisted everyone treat them with respect and they return it.
    Geese are intelligent and will treat how they are treated.

6. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    This is great information. I wouldn't have to worry about my kids picking on them, they have been raised with ALL sorts of animals(not geese yet though) and are very loving and very respectful towards them. So if I raise them as goslings can I treat them just like my ducks in the way we handle them? I mean we handle our ducklings from the time we get them at a day old and they are extremely friendly. Even my 'scovies get a little more protective when they are setting, that wouldn't be a problem.
    I guess we will get some. The only goslings readily available around here are Emden, and body have experience with them and there personalities?

7. jjdward

jjdward How bout them DAWGS!

May 4, 2009
    Buchanan, Georgia
    Quote:I wished I was close, i would take about 5 off your hands!! Went to your site and your place sounds really neat!!

8. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Mine are super friendly! I have a pair of Chinese and they will follow you around talking to you, sit next to us while we are weeding or planting. Even when the boys are playing rough, they just stay out of the way and watch from a safe distance. They have never shown any aggression except when the chickens try and steal their food! LOL!

Shelly

9. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

What about the Weeder Geese? I love them, and would love to have some for our garden as well as just around. I also love the runner geese, think they are so elegant.

10. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Run-A-Muck Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I wished I was close, i would take about 5 off your hands!! Went to your site and your place sounds really neat!!

Thank you so much for the compliment....
    I really need to get on there and update the info/animals and what not...
    plus get pictures up...lol

maybe that'll be my goal for the weekend (after the animal sale of course..lol)

yes if you were closer I could give you 5 or 25 which ever you would like....lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by