I want more chickens!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kyleen, Sep 8, 2016.

1. kyleen

kyleen Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2016
    Prescott AZ
    So, my flock originally had six hens. Within the last month, two of them got eaten (or at least killed) by raccoons. I would like to replace these two. Do I have to wait until spring of next year to get two new chicks? Or can I start brooding two of them now.

2. robdog

robdog Chillin' With My Peeps

It never matters when you start but in the winter months october-jan the chick supply start going small because every hen decides its winter and stops laying. So if your going to get more get them while you can.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I agree with robdog but just to add, you may wish to consider getting more than two chicks. If one gets sick or taken by a predator, it will leave only one chick and that will make for an unhappy, lonely chick (until she matures, at least). You will find that any young additions to a flock will form their own sub-flock, which is separate from the adult birds.

CT

1 person likes this.
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    You could if:
    -you can find 2 chicks to brood
    -if you have the extra room in your coop needed to manage an integration.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon

I agree here.

Was this your first year with chickens?

Have you dealt with the predator issue? No need getting more birds that will just be on the menu.

If it was your first year with chickens, you may want to go through the winter with your reduced number of birds and see how things go. A group that's raised together can tolerate a smaller space as a rule, but trying to add new birds needs more space. How much room do your birds have?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by