I want more silkies. I did a photoshoot this weekend and one of the children...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by boochaces, Dec 15, 2012.

1. boochaces

boochaces Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2012
    ...just snatched up Krankor! Kranks was like, lalalalaaa...not a care in the world.

[​IMG]

2. boochaces

boochaces Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2012
    Are all of them this sweet in nature?

3. Fowl Mouth

Fowl Mouth Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2012
    Midwest USA
    Ahhh! Cuteness overload! [​IMG] I'm not sure who in that picture I wanna snuggle with first. haha. Too cute.

I only have three silkies at the moment, all female. But they are all super sweet and very laid back. They're all house chickens, and while all three are very 'helpful' and social, there is one that loves being a lap chicken as well. Sits on my lap at the computer or piano, hates being left alone and insists on coming anywhere I go, especially if I leave the room. She's a chatterbox too, always carrying on a 'conversation' with me or the radio. She has two other Silkie companions, but prefers people over anything.

To me they're one of the best breeds for pets. Though I also have a cochin bantam named Muppet that is quickly climbing the social ladder too. lol. Although with Muppet, she has a habit of squawking at the top of her lungs if you are talking to someone else. Talk to HER and she loves it, talk to another human or one of the other birds or cats and she throws a little tantrum.

4. Crafty-Duck

Crafty-Duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    Lucky Duck Pond
    Fowl Mouth, your avatar is adorable!

I have heard good things about silkies! which is why I want one or two!!! plus they are just so cute.

5. Fowl Mouth

Dec 15, 2012
    Midwest USA
    Aw thanks. Thats Buffy. In her little summer dress. She came from a BYC member too (thanks Debbi!) and I just love her.

They are addictive little things though. I started with just Buffy this year, one silkie, spoiled little house bird. She never seemed to mind that she was the only chicken. But then I somehow got it into my mind that "just one more" house silkie would be good... ended up bringing home not one, but two more fuzzy butts!

So far they are a take-what-comes kind of bird, in my experience with these three. They dont complain about much, and I do some odd things with my house chickens (as if the dress isnt enough, they also wear diapers and sometimes bonnets on their heads...). I have yet to have one running for the door screaming "get me outta here!" so they don't seem to mind their nonconventional lifestyle.

6. Crafty-Duck

May 27, 2012
    Lucky Duck Pond
    oh man I want a house silkie!!!! but with 10 cats I don't think it would be a good idea! [​IMG] I want one though!!!!!!

7. Crafty-Duck

May 27, 2012
    Lucky Duck Pond
    I have a question for you Fowl Mouth, What do you do with your silkies when you go somewhere? Do you put them in a cage or crate of some sort? and where do they sleep? if you don't mind saying!

I really want to get one but I want to figure out how it would work out first.

8. Fowl Mouth

Dec 15, 2012
    Midwest USA
    Never know. We have 9 cats and five house chickens, none of the cats bother any of the silkies or the cochin but DO show a bit too much interest in the Old English Game bantam. Anything pigeon sized or smaller and the cats consider it fair game... inside or outside. As such, Pigeon (the OEG bantam) can only strut around the house after the cats have been shooed into the bedroom and closed in. lol.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My living situation is as unconventional as the lifestyle for the chickens, so I doubt I'd be too much help. lol. I live full time in a 34 foot Class A motorhome. So, when we go somewhere vacation or day-trip wise, the chickens (and cats and turtles) join us. Two of our cats have been to 32 states. One of my past house-roosters made 16 states. We've been stopped long-term now, in the process of buying some land so I can restart my preservation breeding flocks, so the current girls havent actually been on the road. If we did up and move though, they would definitely join us on the trip.

So the break-down for my group is as follows: wake up around 5am, put the girls in their diapers and let them meander the house while I mix up their breakfast (which is usually warm, another odd treatment they get here). After breakfast, if the weather is nice, diapers come off and the girls go outside in a covered dog exercise pen to pick at the grass and leaves, scratch in the dirt and enjoy the sights and sounds. If the weather is bad, like it has been the past two days, the girls stay inside and go about their chicken business around the motorhome with their diapers. They sit on the sofa and look out the window, try to dust bathe in the thick pile carpeting, act like ducks and play in the cats' water dish, chase reflections and shadows, or chat with themselves in the mirror. Sometimes they just take a nap at my feet or I'll hold them on my lap.
    If they are outside, they come in around sundown, diapers go back on and they get supper and mill about until bedtime.
    Bedtime is usually around 9pm. The cochin and OEG have a 26x38 cage on the floor and the Silkies have a 24x36 cage on top of that with a divider since Buffy doesn't always get along with Shaniqua.

Here's some pics of their cages.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've actually changed a a bit since those pics, but it gives you an idea of their sleeping (or road-trip) quarters. I've sinced removed the light from the inside and placed it on top, provides better light (its not a heat lamp) and they can't bump their heads or have any chance of pecking and breaking the bulb.
    I've also went from the floor feeding and water bowls, to bowls that hang on the side. The silkies were little slobs with their water dishes, always tipping them or trying everything they could to flip them.
    I'm also in the process of getting away from the newspaper flooring and going to either excelsior pads or hemmed tight weave carpet mats.

And just to make 100% sure that you know I am a little crazy... the chickens aren't the only animals here that wear clothes.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Crafty-Duck

May 27, 2012
    Lucky Duck Pond
    Thanks so much!!!!and by the way I don't think you are a little crazy we in fact sound smiler [​IMG]

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I wonder if the chicken dress throws the cat's off their game, so they leave her alone. I wonder if the OEG wore a dress, if that would rattle the cats. The hooded cat doesn't look too happy about

dressing up but, if it hasn't shredded your arm, I guess its okay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by