I want my Cayuga to go broody?

Jan 19, 2021
Minnesota
Hey all! So I really want my cayuga to go broody. I know I can’t just make her but is there anyway I can encourage it?

What precautions can I take to make sure she’s happy and safe while she’s sitting on them?

What are the pros and cons of a broody duck?

Is there anything should know beforehand?

If they hatch can I take them in with me or should I let her be the mama?

Should I wait until summer?

Is it okay for me to push her to go broody?

we have a drake he’s very mean to the girl. He’s actually being mean so should I separate him from her while she’s broody and when she has the babies? He keeps ripping the feathers on out pekin girl. He chases her around and everything. I love my boy but he’s mean. Should we just keep him separated?

Well, I don't raise ducks, but I have chickens.
You can't really encourage a duck to go broody.
Precautions: Make sure wherever she goes broody is not high up, and make sure there are no small holes that ducklings could fit through.
Pros: Ducklings Cons: Might lose some weight if she's "that kind of mom", Will probably be mean to everything around her.
Things to know before hand: She will probably be mean to you, so I wouldn't recommend petting her and such. You might never see her off the nest, but that doesn't mean she's not eating and drinking.
If they hatch, I'd let her take care of them.
There is no need to wait until summer, but it is generally better for the warmth of the ducklings.
It's not good to push any animal to do something they tend to do naturally faster.
Find a place for her away from the drake.

I dont know if there is anything you can do to try and encourage her to go broody other than stop collecting the eggs and let her pile them up. She might never go broody, not all ducks do.

I think you should wait until summer.
My 8 month old Mallard duck went broody on February 15th. On March 13th she had 11 babies. I was concerned about the cold here in Ohio, last night was in the 20's and will be again tonight. They are in a medium pet gazebo with tarps lining all walls except the door. I didn't realize she was sitting on eggs until it was too late. All has been just fine. The gazebo has a sand bottom and I add dry wood shavings every day. I have a heated water bowl in there for them but no other source of heat. So far so good and they are so big now. Tonight will be our last really cold night but so far all has been well so I have decided to not intervene. They seem to know what to do or at least mine did even though she is so young and has so many. Good luck with your duck going broody.

Back
Top Bottom