I want my chickens to live a really long time?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lululemon436, Jul 9, 2010.

1. lululemon436

lululemon436 New Egg

Jul 9, 2010
    [​IMG] Hi everyone.
    I have 3 silkie hens and they are all about 3 years old. They are healthy, cage free during daytime, and very healthy. I want them to live atleast 15 years. How do I keep them from getting tumors and such, along with other diseases? Or should I give my chickens away and start with a new batch (which i really don't want to do, but if its for their own good, then I can do it)
    I live in rainy ol' Washington state, and it rains a lot during spring and occasionally during summer. I know chickens like warm weather, and cold weather can get them prone to other diseases. is this true?

THANKS! oh by the way i'm a new comer to your website so... yey!

2. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    The best way to keep them disease free is to practice biosecurity.

-Don't bring any other chickens home. If you must bring started birds home, quarantine for 4-6 weeks first.
    -Don't let people who have chickens around your chickens.
    -Don't let wild birds eat from your chickens' feeders
    -Santitize the coop, feeders and waterers on a regular basis

If your birds are healthy and you're happy with them, there's no need to give them away.

[​IMG]

3. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    Quote:Belle, how do you sanitize your coops and how often? I've heard of several methods and it's getting time I ought to do mine. Bleach?

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    MaggieRae. I sanitize their house once a week. I rake out the soiled hay, get in there and scrape the poop off the perches(I'm wearing decon gear...rubber gloves,mask,goggles,long sleeve shirt.) I have a trap door that I open and use my blower to blow the debris out, which I rake up later. I use bleach water in a bucket to wipe everything down. Next I put fresh hay in the nests and on the floor. I then sprinkle sevin dust on the hay and finish by raking their pen. As a matter of fact, I gotta do it first thing in the morning before it gets too hot lol. In the winter time, I'll clean it out about every 10 days.

5. lululemon436

lululemon436 New Egg

Jul 9, 2010
    thanks, you guys are a lot of help! i will start cleaning out my coop more often![​IMG]

6. pontoosuc

pontoosuc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Richmond, MA
    why would you think it best to give your birds away?
    you sound like a great bird keeper :)

7. GreenGables

GreenGables Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    MA
    I have 5 chickens and I empty the dirty shavings and put clean pine shavings in their house every 3 weeks during the freezing winter months. When the weather is warmer I clean it with a natural germicide every 3 weeks and add new shavings. Forgot to mention, I scoop out poop in between the cleanings. Good luck with your flock and [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  8. honeydoll

honeydoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Stark County, NE Ohio
    Quote:What natural germicide do you use? I am really into natural things for my chickens as my customers want organic eggs, so anything I do natural helps to sell my eggs.

Carolyn

9. gallusdomesticus

gallusdomesticus Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Lynn Haven, FL
    One of the biggest killers of chickens are predators. You can give them the best feed, medicine, exercise, fresh air and medical care but it won't protect them from the neighbor's (or your) dog, racoons, possums, hawks, eagles, owls, weasels, or foxes.
    What protection do you have during their free range time? Hawks, especially Cooper's Hawks, are chicken killers of the first order. Possums and racoons are smart and can devastate your birds when they're roosting at night. Dogs can kill them in an instant.
    I would recommend you read the threads on "predators" to get suggestions on how to proof your hen house and run against predators and what you can do to help prevent hawk attacks.
    Good luck with your birds and welcome to the forum!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by