I want my Mallards to fly south this fall, will they?

kaumlauf

Crowing
13 Years
Nov 2, 2010
Cambridge Springs, PA
Hi- I purchased some Mallard ducklings from a local feed supply store in Pennsylvania. I purposely bought Mallards so that I wouldn't have to winter them over. I am really hoping they will fly south this fall. Will they?

I am going to say that is the 100k question? If the call of nature is strong enough they will fly away. I like to think that our two little wild mallard hens we bought from a private breeder, are happy at home with their flock and will choose to stay because of all the awesome treats and great accommodations! :celebrate :wee Great question, please keep us posted as to what happens. :)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/do-pet-mallards-fly-south-for-the-winter.310890/

why? any animal born in the wild is a wild animal. any animal born in captivity is a domestic animal. that means feed store mallards are domestic. which means they are pets and shouldn’t be bought unless you plan to care for them their whole lives (10+ years). they need daily care and attention just like dogs and cats. not to mention it’s illegal and cruel to release a domestic pet. please find them a new home if you don’t want them anymore.

Hi- I purchased some Mallard ducklings from a local feed supply store in Pennsylvania. I purposely bought Mallards so that I wouldn't have to winter them over. I am really hoping they will fly south this fall. Will they?
This is a huge problem the waterfowl world is facing today, particularly in the Eastern US where domesticated ducks have seriously genetically impacted wild Mallard and Black Duck populations. It's likely that the decline in wild duck populations there is due to the introduction of domesticated genes. Releasing them would be seriously irresponsible and would help continue to contribute to the current genetic issues within the population.

why? any animal born in the wild is a wild animal. any animal born in captivity is a domestic animal. that means feed store mallards are domestic. which means they are pets and shouldn’t be bought unless you plan to care for them their whole lives (10+ years). they need daily care and attention just like dogs and cats. not to mention it’s illegal and cruel to release a domestic pet. please find them a new home if you don’t want them anymore.
Stop scolding, for one thing, and 2, they are Mallards, and their instincts are Mallard. They will do what they want to do.

Back
Top Bottom