I Want/ NEED a Rooster!

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Half-a-dozen, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Half-a-dozen

Half-a-dozen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2007
    NJ
    Hi everyone-

I have 12 - 7.5 week old chicks. I'm thinking they are all girls. No signs of cockadoodledooing, some RIR's are growing faster than the others and some have bigger waddles but when I went back to the farm store they assured me I probably have NO Roo's! I wanted at least one!!! Was hoping for at least one [​IMG]
    Anyway-
    Where can I get me a roo?
    Where do you by them online?
    I'd like to get a chick roo if I can so we can raise and "spoil" him ourselves!
    Unless anyone lives by me and would like to loose one- I'd be happy to buy if its a chick chick roo!!!

2. wlz77

wlz77 Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2007
    PA
    i'm In Pa I have some roos what are you looking for

3. Half-a-dozen

May 26, 2007
    NJ
    Silkie, cochin, RIR, or whoever would be the calmest and get the job done-LOL

4. chickaboo7

chickaboo7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Manahawkin NJ
    I have a bunch of silkie chicks I'm looking to place. I not sure about sex but if you take the bunch I'm sure you'll get lucky lol Let me know if your interested

5. Half-a-dozen

May 26, 2007
    NJ
    OOHHH yes, I would LOVE some silkies. We'd come to get them if you'd like. Not far from you. OHHH sooo Excited!!!!

6. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    Lol-most of us get stuck with them by accident. If you have never had a rooster and have small chicldren I would rethink my decesion. I hear silkies are very good birds and maybe the cockerels of this breed would be more docile. When the hormones kick in and the hens get to be in breeding age some roosters go from being sweet and adorable into Mr. Hydes! I don't know if handling them when they are little would help. I hear RIR roos can be agressive.

7. 1924vanhorn

1924vanhorn Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2007
    Hi All - I have 2 three week old RIR rooster....if anyone is interested in buying. I am in Princeton, NJ.

8. Half-a-dozen

May 26, 2007
    NJ
    I guess I will go with the silkie Roos. I do have small children and they do LOVE playing with the chickens.
    I think one Silkie roo would do they trick??

9. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    I don't know about silkie roos but I would avoid some of the bantam breed roos. They may be small but they act mighty, plus I have heard of bantam roos flying in ones face. My friend had a barred rock roo and he weighed around 8 lbs and was a formidable guy

10. Slim

Slim Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2007
    Portage Michigan
    7.5 weeks might be a bit young to count on crowing to determine sex. Tho not unheard of, it would be odd for a cockerel to crow before 8 weeks, and more commonly they start at about 12 weeks. But again that is NOT a law. [​IMG]

But you should be able to tell by comb growth at 7 weeks.
    I don't doubt that you may have all pullets. I think the feed store here only stocks straight runs of Cornish Rock Crosses.
    The other breeds are all pullets (or should be, things happen sometimes).

Anyways, your ladies wont start laying eggs until they are 5 or six months old, and by that time winter will be on it's way and you 'prolly wont want to raise chicks until spring is just around the corner.

I know you want a chick rooster but it's hard to tell most breed's cockerels from pullets before about 4 weeks with anything beyond 70% certainty. But a sex-linked mixed breed or feather sexed mixed breed is a different story, they’re easy. A few pure breed types are easier, but not many.

My thought is that you might want to wait awhile before you grab a rooster, and keep your fingers crossed that one of those fast growing RIR's is really a rooster. Mistakes about sex are made quite often.

I know many chicken owners (myself included) would jump at an opportunity to get rid of even their one and only rooster. In fact I would drive 4 hours one way if someone would take my 2 'roos off my hands. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by