1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I want pictures!! Newegg here!! Updated Chick #s p3

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by paceysgl5, Jan 20, 2011.

1. paceysgl5

paceysgl5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2011
    Taunton,MA
    Hi all - I've gone to the dark side and am now chicken obsessed!! I've been lurking the forums but finally decided to post. We are getting baby chicks (15!) around March 23rd...placed 2 orders 1 from Meyer and 1 from Cackle because Meyer didn't have EE's available until May. We ordered:

5 EE's from Cackle

Meyer:
    2 Buff Orpingtons
    2 Columbian Wyandottes
    2 Barred Rocks
    1 RIR
    1 Golden Campine
    1 Golden Laced Wyandotte
    1 Meyer Meal Maker

We've (well, I) have already been subject to chicken math - we were going to get 8, but then the annoying EE shipping issue came up and Cackle required 5 minimum, so we did that but I didn't want to get fewer of the Columbian Wyandottes, BO's, and BR's (original plan). So we ordered those. Then that was going to be an odd # (11) and that annoyed me so we added a columbian wyandotte. Then I saw a picture of a GLW and had to add one, and somehow added the Golden Campine and the RIR, and the meal maker for fun...hmmm...

We are currently converting a used shed we found on craigslist (i'll add pictures once I've posted enough). I would have ordered some bantam chicks too but I think we might do that next year.

Also, just so you know, these are going to be my pets - they'll all have names and none will ever be sent to freezer camp. I don't care if others do of course, but just wanted to let you all know they will not be replaced year after year (or whatever the timeframe is).

SO I WANT TO SEE PICTURES! Hopefully of chicks of the breeds I'm getting!! Can't get enough of the cuteness [​IMG]

Thanks [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  2. TamiHunter

TamiHunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Saint Helens, Oregon
    [​IMG] I have none of the breeds your getting so no pics to post sorry! Welcome to your new obsession!!

3. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG] from GA. Be warned raising chickens is very addictive. [​IMG]

4. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I will get some BO pics up tonight. They are sweet young ladies. you will enjoy them.
    welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

ummm, what's a 'meal maker'? a cornish x?

Here as some photos. It seems to take forever to find a picture that isn't either just fluff in the air or a chicken poking her head into the lens. The rooster is an Australorp/ orpington mix I believe.
    I will keep looking for more good pictures, but I was a SLR camera person. This digital stuff needs...well okay, I need glasses. they might be just fine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

these are when they were one year old:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you want to see what teenager BO's look like, there are some on my BYC page.
    I am having a difficult time with my dsl connection. It keeps cutting out. I think that is all that I have worth uploading anyway, they move around a lot.
    I was painting the new homemade chicken automated chicken door to day, one inquisitive hen is now a redhead. They JUST got their nice new pretty feathers and everything. [​IMG] oh well, next molt is only a year away...

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  5. paceysgl5

paceysgl5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2011
    Taunton,MA
    oh sorry ...the meyer meal maker is basically a free chick they add (a pullet from one of the breeds you already ordered) that you agree to donate the eggs from. it's pretty silly considering we still would have donated the eggs but thought it would be fun to have a surprise baby in there.

Thanks for the warm welcomes!! I love being chicken-obsessed already. Ppl at work think I'm crazy but have been great about bringing in egg cartons so I can start stockpiling!

6. riverman

riverman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2010
    Central Tx
    I just bred a Barred Rock Roo with a White EE and got this cute this chicky yesterday morning! Hopefully a hen. A gold one just hatched as well but no pics yet! Enjoy!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Welcome to the chicken addiction...... [​IMG] I have some of the breeds you listed, so here's their chick picture.

In this picture, top left Barred Rock, top right Sicilian Buttercup, middle Buff Orpington, bottom left by the waterer Easter Egger (sold as Americauna), next to the right Red Sex link, next to the right light brahma, next to the right Rhode Island Red.
    [​IMG]

8. coltssuperbowl83

coltssuperbowl83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Kingsville
    [​IMG]
    I don't have any of your breeds but this is one of my leghorn/welsummer cross, hes in his gangly teenager stage....

9. chicken-owner-31

chicken-owner-31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    NV
    Oh you sound like me! I started out with both barrels blazin, jumped in and started dog paddlin! [​IMG]

Chicken math got me BAD! Hahaha! I am working on my numbers of certain ones so I can get more. Hubby just rolls his eyes at me. Tee hee! I don't have the breeds you are getting, but I will give you some chickie pics anyway! [​IMG]

The birds that got me back into chickens, I became the accidental owner of 9 Cornish crosses:
    [​IMG]

Silkies and Cochins
    [​IMG]

Getting bigger!
    [​IMG]

Awkward teenage phase!
    [​IMG]

Moved out to the big kid pen!
    [​IMG]

The ever fabulous Fabio!
    [​IMG]

Newest obsession:
    [​IMG]

And final results!
    [​IMG]

Sorry, I tend to go overboard with pics! [​IMG]

CONGRATS on the upcoming little ones! Although that's a bummer about Meyer and the EE's. I was wanting to order some from them too.

10. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Check out some breed threads in the Breeds, Genetics and Showing section.

edited for typos on BBC code

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by