I want some new(ish) girls.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mamabigbird, May 15, 2010.

1. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    I started with well-worn ISAs, who layed for a while and then went into retirement. Only have two old girls left, plus a motley crew of 5 youngish mixed breed EE/mop-heads, who produce three eggs a day between them. I'd like to get some good old RRs, and could split my chicken run to keep newbies and older ones separate. I'm afraid to try really young birds but wonder if it's possible to get some that are about 3-6 months old and also can one tell their sex by then? I don't want roosters and don't want to kill them either if they are males. I can place a want ad in the local used.com site but I'm not sure what to ask for. Any advice?

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    You can certainly tell sex at that age. The problem you may have is finding someone willing to sell you girls of that age. And, it would have to be someone reasonably local since the USPS will not allow birds of that age to be shipped. Honestly, the easiest way is probably to order day old chicks....

3. lovinlife

lovinlife Chillin' With My Peeps

Check Craig's List in your area. I see people selling laying hens in my area.

4. Raven1

Raven1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Carthage, TN
    I am getting ready to put some hens on Craigslist that hatched last year ad started laying early this year. Don't know where you are but if close Pm me.

5. goochgirl

goochgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    I've seen chickens on Craigslist. Also, you can order older chickens from McMurray hatchery. It was the only way we could get a small order. Postage is more, though.

6. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    Where are you located. If you tell us where you are located someone on here might be able to recommend where to get them in your local area.

7. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    Thanks for the advice guys. I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner, but I couldn't figure out how to find my way back to the question I had asked and/or the answers. I am seriously computer challenged, but I'm learning. I am on Vancouver Island B.C. I'll try craig's list as someone suggested.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by