i want some pet quail!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Loretta212, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Loretta212

Loretta212 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Meriden ct
    right now i have 2 contrix quail and they are outside in there rabbit hutch happy as can be with their sand box [​IMG]. however I want some small quail i can keep inside in as pets. there are so many different kinds and they are all so pretty i dont know what to pick. i do have a son who is almost 2 and likes to handle every animal we have so i dont know if their is a breed that would be better around toddler noise. any suggestions?

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Your best bet is probably the African Harlequins, they have similar temperaments to the coturnix but are about half the size. quailladyoffortmyers raises them [​IMG]

3. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Quote:On my want list! [​IMG]
    I was just talking to hubby this morning about changing the Aviary, and maybe some raised coops so our dogs don't lose the whole yard to quail! lol...

As far as temperament, I agree, you just can't beat a Coturnix. They are just big goofballs ! I love them.

I was cleaning the cage last night and worried I might throw the baby out with the bath water.. so to say. [​IMG] They wouldn't stay out of my way, in and around my hands being nosy. [​IMG]

The African Harlequin being 1/2 the size and just as sweet is a win win!

4. kahlertm

kahlertm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Durango, Colorado
    Totally agree with Shelly. Tried Buttons but they were too afraid of me and my little boy to really enjoy. So the Africans are perfect for inbetween....Now, Quaillady will tell you whether you can or should be housing them together. I think it might be a bad thing...Don't know for sure. You may just want a few more Coturnix. But then you need to structure your introductions to be slow (cage within the cage) or a new pen for all so no territorial fighting breaks out. Your adorable loving Coturnix become little head hunters...literally. I have one in "quail hospital" now...simply because I changed location of the cage of three hens. Someone became all upset and pecked the head of the other girl till bloody and black eyed. She has calmed some. Now I have to reintroduce hurt girl after she is well CAREFULLY, slowly, watching who will accept her.

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Housing them together? Did I miss something kahlertm? [​IMG]

African Harlequins are similar to buttons in the way that they should be kept in pairs. My understanding is the OP has coturnix outside but wants smaller quail for inside.

6. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Quote:that was my understanding too Shelly

7. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

depending on your male to female ratio for coturnix you may want more females.... and I from what I heard AHQ lay like champs also.

8. Loretta212

Loretta212 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Meriden ct
    no i was planning on having them indoors in their own habitat seperate from the other ones.

9. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Oh yes, African Harlequins are little darlings in the Coturnix world. They are a bit bigger than button quail but so much calmer. They will sit on their eggs, they will allow you to hold them and not freak out. They lay eggs very nicely. I have mine in pairs and they really like it that way in my opinion. I started with a colony and it was a disaster (lost a hen in the process). They love to make nests out of hay and then they fight me in the nest. I have hamster huts as well but they are a little tall for them (however I find them inside!).

10. Missi

Missi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    Naples, FL
    I want Harlies NOW!!! Now now NOW!!! [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by