I want SQ Delawares, where to find?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by BeardedChick, Nov 9, 2008.

1. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

I would like to buy hatching eggs this Spring from SQ Delaware stock. Anyone know who to contact?

2. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    I'm watching this thread.....hoping you find something. I think Delawares are one of the most beautiful standard breeds....but have never seen anything on this Forum about show quality. There is not doubt they would be impressive. Last resort (or maybe BEST) I would think to travel to the nearest show and meet some breeders.

3. BeardedChick

Yeah, I've searched the web and can't find anything, either... They have to be out there. [​IMG]

4. Jessika

Jessika Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Eagle Creek, OR
    Quote:They seem to be hard to find. Are there any Delaware clubs?

5. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
  6. BeardedChick

Thanks - look like they are in the process of organizing. There really isn't much in the site yet - only a few state contacts. But I'll try those and see what I come up with.

7. kryptoniteqhs

kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    im sure u dont wanna order from a hatchery but i have 25 day old delaware pullets that should be here today or tomorrow....from Texas Poultry...theyre a small hatchery

8. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    well, if you want really nice heritage Delawares then you will need to get on a list. Speckledhen has some nice ones she got from seriousbill, but I know seriousbill has a list as I am there [​IMG] , not sure if speckledhen has a list too [​IMG] . Also, I know Bill Braden has some(also wait list), you should be able to google him...... good luck!!

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

There are only a handful of serious Delaware breeders in the U.S. I know because I looked and looked and looked. Not all are easy to find nor do they just send out hatching eggs to anyone who asks. Hopefully, with help from a friend and breeder of quality Delawares, I may be able to offer some really nice Dels by next summer. Because of their endangered status, I am being extremely picky about the ones I keep, especially the rooster. I decided to sell my cockerel due to a less than perfect comb so it will set back my timetable, but I feel it's necessary for the preservation of the breed, not just in name only, but according to the Standard of Perfection. I'll be growing out another cockerel for my first two Delware ladies, who should be laying any day now, so it will probably be summer before I have him ready to sire a new generation of these beauties. And I will add to the ones I currently have.

10. BeardedChick

Thanks - I am super glad to hear Bill Braden has good stock - I am on his list for Spring. :) [​IMG]

SpeckledHen, if I manage to hatch out some good cockerals, I hope you will help me with selecting the best to keep for my small breeding project. I have some hatchery hens, it will be really interesting for me to see how Bill's stock grows out in comparison.

I really enjoy the breed and have been frankly quite suprised at how truly rare they are.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by