I want to add a roof to my run - help me figure out how

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bobbieschicks, Dec 9, 2011.

1. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    I put a tarp up on the corner earlier in the week and I love the covering! I don't love the tarp idea though and I'd like to put a real roof up. Maybe one with tin. Help me figure out what to do - do I have to tear down the whole run I already have and start again or can I build off it somehow? I like the safety of the current run - I want to expand in the spring. I plan to put another play run off this current run with either a door into it that I open/close or a tunnel arrangement. I probably won't build the roof on the run until spring either just because I HATE COLD WEATHER! And it's already down to the 40s in the daytime. Yes, that's cold enough for me [​IMG]

Here's what I have - keep in mind nothing is square or flat or aligned properly.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

What can I do!?!
    thanks,
    Bobbie

2. N2Shown

N2Shown Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    Northern California
    I think I would be tempted to just cover the area that the roofline is even with that of the coop. You could do a tin roof running away from the coop that is an equal length to the coop and just leave the area that is at the end open. Just a thought to keep from redoing the whole top of the run.

3. hispoptart

hispoptart Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    I would have to agree with just the part that is even. That one corner looks like it would be tough to line up. BTW cute coop!

4. suntex01

suntex01 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2011
    [​IMG]

The first post of the run on the left closest to you in this picture. I'd shorten it so that its level with the roofline of the coop. Then I'd just use pieces of the metal roof like the ones you used for your coop and cover it up.
    Its real important to get proper slope and reduce area where water would run or accumulate in the wrong place.

But all in all it shouldn't be too complicated if you use metal roof. They don't really require support on the underside, unlike asphalt shingles. So the structure you have right now should work pretty well, just don't step on it.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  5. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Quote:That sounds like a real possibility. I'd have to remove some of the metal widening to cut the corner post but I definitely like that idea. It would give me almost a peaked roof staying with the slants of the front and back of the coop. Yes. That seems doable. Thank you!

6. suntex01

suntex01 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2011
    No problem. It seems like you have enough joists that go across. So you just need to adjust that post and slap some metal roofing on, or those clear plastic corrugated sheets as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by