I want to add wheels but how?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Krunchy, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Krunchy

Krunchy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2011
    Antelope
    So I made a converticoop and I'm that I really need to add wheels to this thing to make it easier for one of us to move it around the yard. It uses 1X1's at the legs and center(pics below)
    Any ideas on how to add some? The one idea I have atm is to get a L bracket, screw or bolt down the one side and them bend the other till it's pointing straight up and then bolt on a wheel to that.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
  3. Krunchy

Krunchy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2011
    Antelope
    I would but the ends of it are doors. So it has to be off the sides. The other thought is to use PVC make a axle underneath on end.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    PVC won't support the weight.

You can always add a piece on the sides to bolt to

5. Momoflilgs

Momoflilgs Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2011
    I have a couple ideas but haven't put them into action. Look at this website- http://www.bluemountaincoops.com/massey-featherson-40-chicken-tractor They have smaller wheels mounted to the outer edge. I'm guessing that this means the bottom of the tractor on that end has to be slightly off the ground. That isn't what I would do but it might be the easiest. I think I will make one end of the run solid- maybe running a 2x6 in between the 2x2 to give the end the necessary strength. You could still have a door but it would be a smaller access door and maybe not necessary. I would also suggest beefy tires so they easily roll through the grass. This is what I have bought but not installed- http://www.harborfreight.com/8-inch-pneumatic-rigid-caster-42714.html I'm planning on mounting them so the bracket part is flush with the solid run end. Then you just have to lift up the opposite end and maneuver around similar to a two wheeled wheel-barrow. I hope this is making sense because it's hard to describe without pictures. Good Luck!

P.S. The coop looks great!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  6. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by