I want to breed more "Liberace"s - can anyone advise?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by The Lisser, Aug 6, 2010.

1. The Lisser

The Lisser Chillin' With My Peeps

Back in March, I picked out 10 mixed breed chicks from a friend of a friend. One of them ended up like this:

[​IMG]

And a pic taken a couple months ago:

[​IMG]

Obviously he is part Silkie - but he mostly has "regular" feathers, and I think he is bigger than pure silkies. He is beautifully feathered up one side and down the other, and he is by far our most docile chicken. We LOVE [​IMG] him! His name is Liberace.

I went back to the farm where he came from, hoping to find some others that looked like him, but all I saw were some sickly-looking silkies - did not want to risk bringing any diseases to my farm so I didn't get them. The other breeds at the farm were Delawares, RIR's, BR's, Cochins, Wyandottes (GLW and SLW), and EE's - and many mixes. I saw some Polish too but I think they were bought this year, not full grown.

Can you help me guess what combination of breeds he might be? My niece and nephews just love him and I would love to make more "Liberaces" so they can have their own. I am going to order some more pullets soon. Should I get a white silkie pullet and then breed the offspring back to a different breed? I've read here on BYC that white is dominant so is it possible he was a result of a white silkie crossed with a breed of another color? Does anyone have any suggestions as how I could create a breed of Liberaces?

Thanks so much!

[​IMG] Melissa

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
  3. IwannaBEaMERMAID

IwannaBEaMERMAID Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Looks like a cochin-silkie cross

4. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Out of the other breeds that were there, I would say silkiexcochin.

5. The Lisser

The Lisser Chillin' With My Peeps

Great! Thanks y'all!!

6. gootziecat

gootziecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2007
    Hampshire Co, WV
    My first guess was Sultan. Then it was a Silkie/Polish cross. Whatever, Liberace is a cool looking dude.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by