i want to breed purebreeds but....

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by wildriverswolf90, Aug 14, 2011.

1. wildriverswolf90

wildriverswolf90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    polk county, NC
    Wasn't sure where to post this. I have buff orps that I want to breed when they grow up but I also have a sultan pair, do I need to worry bout my sultan breeding with my buff orp hens??

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Your Sultan rooster will not discriminate by breed. He'll be all over those big girls [​IMG]

3. Lee

Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Marion County, IN
    Yes, roosters are not particular about what breed they mate with. One time I was given a Buff Brahma bantam rooster and he was able to mount and mate with my full size hens. The chicks from those mating were interesting, but of course not purebred. [​IMG]

4. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    My 5 to 6 lb Sumatra roosters breed all the time with my 8 to 9 lb RIR's. One of the Sumatra roo's named Loverboy, has chosen the RIR's over Sumatra hens. He ONLY breeds with the reds, never with Sumatra's.
    My solution to this is I only keep Sumatra roo's. When I hatch sumatra eggs, I am then certain they will be pure Sumatra.

5. cherylcohen

cherylcohen The Omelet Ranch

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    Yep, you'll need to provide separate coops and runs! Very exciting good luck

6. wildriverswolf90

wildriverswolf90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    polk county, NC
    Thank you all! Guess I will have to find a home for the sultans as I don't have the means to build another coop and I don't want sultan orpington crosses! O well. [​IMG]

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:can you divide you coop in half?? even with simple chicken wire?

8. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    I was thinking about starting to breed to.
    Either Silkies or Polish
    but im only a beginner so im definitely researching and stuff before i do anything.

If there are any tips about breeding chickens that we should know about, any advice is appreciated :]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by