I want to breed show bantams! How would I start?

awesomefowl

Argues with Goats
9 Years
Jun 5, 2010
raxacoricofallapatorious
Q: Would large rabbit hutches work to house pairs or trios? Then I could sell the chicks?
I know tons about poultry raising, but not so much about showing birds. Is there a good book upon the subject?
I am interested in Seramas, Sebrights, Nankins.....the really small breeds facinate me. I want to raise chickens for eggs and MAYBE meat, but also breed them for selling. Is this too confusing the way I wrote this?
ANybody have any tips?

hit.gif

You won't get much meat from a Serama, but it's been done.....
Everybody will tell you to buy the best you can afford, and don't expect to make money off of them. I keep only the best from my flock, and I campaign the rest at shows, online, CL, and finally Freecycle. Because it's a lot of work and hassle for chicken feed money, pick a breed that you love, join groups/clubs, and do your homework. Good luck!

Quote:
That's true, also, dont think seramas have been excepted yet for shows either, last I heard, they werent.
Start with private breeders, leave the hatcheries alone if you want show birds.
Google the breeds you want to keep, there are clubs for about all of them. That's a great place to start.
They all have breeder listing, standard of the breed info, recongnised color lists, etc, all the info you will need on your particulat breed of choice.
Also find one thats not overly popular. Like I did with the d'anvers, theres just not many breeders with them, so your birds are easy to show.
If you went with something like silkies, well theres a million and one of them out there and any show will have houndreds to compete against, and some one will always have a better one than you. Keep that in mind when picking your breeds
Good luck

Just pick what you absolutely love so that when it's all super frustrating and you have chicks out your ears you still like it, lol.

I don't think you need a book - just look up your breeds club website and it will have the standard and photos of show winners.

I wouldn't plan on making any money unless you have an extremely rare breed/color and you have excellent stock.

The previous advice on buying the best you can afford is spot on.

Good luck!
smile.png

The more room you have for them the better!!! I hate to see birds cooped up in small areas, even for breeding. They need to be able to scratch and dust bathe, you know, what they are born to do.

I have Sebrights, and let me just tell you - they are VERY FLIGHTY and CURIOUS birds. There's NOOOOOO WAY you could have them in a small space!!!! I have a large area with lots of branches, because they just love flying from branch to branch. They are very active little birds.

thank you! Is it okay to keep the birds inside all the time if you have a large space? I do, inside an old barn- do they have to free range outside too?

What is a good breed? I really like seramas!

Back
Top Bottom