1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I want to build a chicken tractor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Rice, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Rice

Rice New Egg

Mar 31, 2012
    I plan to house 6 hens and 1 rooster. I have been thinking if building it 7x3' in dimensions is large enough, I have considered 4x10 but I wonder if it would make it more difficult to move around.

Also can anyone link me to blueprints or plans for a chicken tractor? I want the triangle shaped one I belive, more appealing.

My main concern is the layout for the coop part, would 3 nest boxes be enough, and what would you suggest as far as adding roosts? Where should they go and how many?

2. kreagerm

kreagerm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2012
    Do you plan on keeping the birds in the tractor or is it just for housing them when you are not home and the other time they will have a bigger space to move around in? 7x3 seems a bit tight for 7 birds, if it's their permenant coop. 3 nesting boxes will be enough. It's always nice to have a roost as well. I don't have a link but there are some great ideas floating around this forum about how to make a tractor. As for materials to make it light weight, my buddy is going to try PVC, but his tractor will be just used for the day time when he is not home, and not as a permenant coop.

I hope that helps a little
    Matt

3. Rice

Rice New Egg

Mar 31, 2012
    I think I will make it an AFrame, 10'x4'

My only issue right now I need help planning is how to build the "coop" part of this. How/where to put nest boxes and roosts?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by