1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I want to build a play run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bobbieschicks, Dec 17, 2011.

1. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    I'm not familiar with how to do fencing and I'm hoping for suggestions. If possible I would like to cover it with netting so I can leave them outside without watching them. I've seen other pictures of tall metal spikes with fencing attached somehow. My question is how to do that and what is the best way? My goal is to get them more run room but not without cover because of the many hawks, osprey & eagles we have here near the water.

If you did wood or metal stakes and wiring for an add on run, please help me understand how it works. I'm thinking of making the space of 30'x50' if that's even plausible.

Here's what I have, it's secure so I don't want to mess with the secureness of it. I'd rather have a gate to open leading inside the play run that doesn't compromise my current set up. Thanks! Bobbie

[​IMG]

2. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    IMO 30x50 is rather ambitious when looking at a lid on it. Have you looked at the coops page. There are TONS of great ideas on there. I am sorry that I cannot help much. My run is secured like yours is and I am also thinking of ways I can give extra space.
    I will keep looking and post here if I come up with anything brilliant.

Good luck.

Oh and your coops looks great!

Edited to add:
    Perhaps not as large as you are looking for but a hoop run may work.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  3. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    That's why I keep having a brain freeze about it. Lol. I have spent many hours searching the coop pages. Most I see are like my setup but only a little bigger perhaps or they don't give details about how they did the fencing. I wish there were a separate place dedicated just to run ideas [​IMG]

My coop and run are good. I want more play time for them without having to supervise. I guess I may have to give up on the cover idea and just fence something in.

Thanks! Hope you figure out a solution too.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I agree with citychick - a hoop coop added to the end would probably be your best bet for a fairly simple added, covered run, although I'm not sure it'd be feasible to build as large as you mentioned.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by