I want to buy an Araucana or Ameraucana pullet in Indiana

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by lobb40118, Jan 16, 2009.

1. lobb40118

lobb40118 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I was curious if anyone out there has Araucanas or Ameraucanas pullets to sell that are between 22-32 weeks old that lives in Indiana so that I could pick up? I only need 1 pullet in that age range. I have a small flock of 3 birds right now and room to add 1 more comfortably with pleanty of coop room plus I range them while I am home so that I can watch after them. I only need one though because I do not want to crowd them. I do not want an Easter Egger though. I want a blue egg layer that is type to either of the breeds listed above. I might buy an Ameraucana/EE from the person that sold me the other 3 because I know that person takes care of their birds but he realizes that the eggs could be any color and they are a bit younger than i wanted at only 16 weeks old but he is selling for $8 which is a plus plus I really like chatting with him and dealing with him. The main reason for the age is because i do not want to put too small of a pullet with the 3 I already have. The bad part is that I do not have a way to segregate the new bird from the other 3 because I have only 1 coop so please check the condition of the one I will be purchasing. I mainly want blue eggs.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  2. AWChickens

AWChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    Try Indiana hens, he's north east of Indy and may have some.

3. lobb40118

Dec 1, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    That is who I bought my first three from and they are great, but his are a bit young and not necessaryly blue layers. I will most likely buy one from Andy though unless someone out there has a blue layer a bit older and in good health.

4. lobb40118

Dec 1, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I bought my 4th today. I bought from andy (Indiana Hens) great bird I think it more of an EE but great bird and i like his stock. I will put a pic of her on my BYC site soon.

5. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    If you want a true Ameraucana go to www.ameraucana.org and look for one on the Breeders List.

Otherwise be careful that you don't wind up with an Easter Egger if that's not what you want.

God Bless,

6. lobb40118

Dec 1, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I bought most likely an easter egger but, I did it with the breeder i started with and he has good stock. not show quality but living and laying quality. The girl i bought today does not have yellow eyes so i assume an EE then. she has a tail so that rules out araucana. so i think i have an EE. it is red, black and gold. too cold today mixed with the stressful move, i do not want to disrupt her too much but will get a pic of her on my BYC page as well.

7. lobb40118

Dec 1, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Well friday i got my forth. I bought from the same flock/person iI bought my three originals from. I did not keep segregated because it was from the same exact person that the other three came from. She is a bit younger than the three others and getting picked on a bit. She hides mostly and i tried putting out another feeder and she got a bit of food. Ionly have one waterer right now though they have all been cooped up for a bit but i have a good sized coop for only 4 birds. I will let the other three out for a bit today to free range and keep the new one in the coop to get some food and water uninterupted. I do not want to let her out until at least friday of this week so that she has a full week inside the coop and is adjusted properly to the new location. I am new to chickens so it is a bit tough to watch her get beat up so much. so far they have not drawn blood. I guess it is the way of birds though and i need to stay out of it. How long does the new pecking order fighting go on?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by