I want to buy an iPad but I am SO confused! Help??

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by carolinagirl58, Oct 15, 2011.

1. carolinagirl58

carolinagirl58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    I have a desk top computer already and thought about getting a kindle reader (Christmas present from hubby actually) but the more I look at ipads, the more I like them. I really don't think we can afford to go all out with all the bells and whistles these things can come with. So can someone please explain the options and what they mean?

First of all, is the iPad2 that much better than the regular iPad? There is a pretty big price difference. I can spend from $499 to $829 for an iPad2, but the first generation iPad is only $499 for the 64G with 3G! So it's $330 less.....but only first generation.

they come in 16G, 32G and 64G, starting at $499 and adding $100 for each step up.eek! But then again....16G is still better than Kindle.

WiFi + 3G. Base price for wiFi 3G is $629 for the 16G model and jumps $100 for each upgrade. Does this mean I can connect to the internet on my ipad using my cell phone? Maybe I can cancel my home internet through ATT? If this is the case, which would save a good chunk of money each month.

I know an iPad can't really replace a good desktop or laptop, but I would not be using it as a replacement anyway. I'd be using it to browse the web, post on forums, some games (simple ones, not high graphic games), and as an E-reader.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom you can share. I don't understand all of this stuff!

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Check out the new Kindle Fire that's coming out Nov 15th for $199. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051VVOB2/ref=famstripe_kf

As
    far as the iPad goes, really it's all what you want to spend and what you have access to. If you want to be able to connect to 3G you have to have a monthly data plan. If you will only be using it with Wi Fi than that's something you don't have to think of. To use your cell phone to thether (unless your jail broken) you have to pay a thethering fee!! [​IMG]

Good luck figuring it out. Me, I'm getting a Kindle Fire!! [​IMG]

3. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    the ipad must have a connection of its own...it cant tether off of any device like your phone... it can access wifi where wver there is wifi available though

eta: I was a die hard ipad person... got one.. fad wore off I am back to my kindle and my blackberry... my kids use the ipad now more then I do... but I dont like the virtual keyboard and thats a BIG down side for me

although I will say if i look up a recipe i will grab the ipad and use it rather then taking my whole laptop into the kitchen.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  4. carolinagirl58

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    Quote:If I don't get an iPad, I will get the fire....I have already been drooling over that. I guess I just need to learn more about the 3G thing and what I can do with it. Not everywhere has wifi and it would be handy on the road to be able to access the web. I think I'd need 3g for that.

5. carolinagirl58

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    Quote:so I'd have to pay for a monthly data plan just as if the iPad was a second phone? Sure don't like the idea of that at all.

6. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:so I'd have to pay for a monthly data plan just as if the iPad was a second phone? Sure don't like the idea of that at all.

yes thats correct unless your home is a wifi zone the ipad 2 may be different I cant offer help with that one... I have the original ipad and i had to set up another network OR just use it in a wifi zone.. (which is what we do)

i think (dont quote me) but the android tablet can be tethered

7. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

I would get the iPad over an eReader of any kind. I bought my husband an iPad this summer and I installed wireless Internet. WE LOVE IT! He uses it for his tutoring business to schedule appointments in the calendar and to use sites like Quizlet for his students. We have also read a book off of it. It does so much more than an eReader! (unless, like someone said, you "jail break" it or something to make it more like a computer).

You don't need a ton of memory unless you're going to store thousands of pictures and/or music on it. Typically you don't store word documents and files like that, plus they don't take a ton of memory like pics and music does.

We found the people at the Apple Store to be very helpful in our decision on how much memory, etc to get. As far as the first generation iPads, I didn't even know they still sold them. Get the newest version, pretty much always.

We both also enjoy playing games on it. For him, it's Angry Birds. For me, any word games like Words with Friends, Scrabble, etc.

Good luck! [​IMG]

8. FourPawz

FourPawz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Virginia
    Keep in mind, you can always install a Kindle app on an iPad. You can't install an iPad app on a Kindle [​IMG]

You do need a plan for your iPad if you need to take it out of your Wi-fi area (just like a smart phone). However, if you get one with only Wi-fi, you can use it in many places, such as Starbucks, where they offer free Wi-fi.

9. carolinagirl58

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    I have a wireless router in my house already so that would work for either the kindle fire or the iPad. The original iPads are still shown as available on Target's web site for a very good price. I am going to Best Buy in a few minutes to look at the different tablets available and will also look at my DIL's kindle. the new Kindle fire might be enough for me. I just don't know because I never messed with one. I sure do like the functionality of the iPads though!!

10. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:it really depends on what you want to use it for..

I am not a gamer I am more of a reader and i dont like the glare on the ipad.. I cant read when I am outside or in some rooms where glare is an issue... my kids however love it because of the apps and games.

you need to figure out what it is exactly you are looking to do on it... all the products on the market have their good and bad points.. the hard part is figuring out what fits with you

go and play.. see what feels right for you.. I like places that sell both products I find you will get an unbiased opinion of each product.. at our local apple store i find they are way to pro apple and dont consider all the needs.. but thats their job right.. sell sell sell..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by