1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I want to convert to sand

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mendozer, Feb 4, 2012.

1. mendozer

mendozer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2011
    seattle
    I have a dirt run now. The dirt has become uneven, the hens make divots everywhere, and it's easy for rats to dig under despite my ground metal skirt. I've wanted to convert the whole thing to sand, but don't know how i should go about it to make it easy.

I was thinking this order:
    - Dig out dirt and make narrow trench under the existing borders in order to bend my skirt down into it so that the skirt is vertical not horizontal along ground
    - place either bricks or 2x4 outside of the borders for the coop and run borders to rest on (with dirt underneath)
    - fill in like 4" sand to make it level with the coop and run borders.

this is what i'm thinking of with my current setup at the right. Right now I have a skirt bent and attached to the outside of my 2x4s and going under my metal fence (dog kennel) run.

[​IMG]

does this seem like it would work?

2. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Do your chickens got outside of the run during the day?

3. mendozer

Feb 27, 2011
    seattle
    no they don't. I'd like them to but after losing my first four to the neighbor's dog (and the landlord's unwillingness to replace the fence) they stay in a fenced area

4. dweder

dweder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Glen Ellyn, Illinois
    I just want to comment on the "sand" part of your posting. Best thing I've ever done is convert to a sand floor!!!!! It cleans up so easy, drains perfectly and keeps everything so clean!

Good luck!

5. mendozer

Feb 27, 2011
    seattle
    i can't seem to find good coarse sand here in Seattle unless i get it bulk from a landscape supply yard. That requires a truck or trailer rental. In hawaii, you could get coarse coral sand that was thick and granular...perfect

6. Ole rooster

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    One thing you could check on is finding someone with a single axle dump. Might be on a 3500 size chassis or a 5500 chassis, then get the owner to bring the sand to you. Would sure beat a tandem dump truck of 17 tons.

7. 2hot2chicken

2hot2chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Beaverton
    My DH works for a landscape supply place and they sell it by the yard or you can use plastic bags they supply and buy it by the bag. You have to do the work and fill it yourself but if you want small amounts that would work. Depending on your run size you will probly need more than you think. Check with a supply place, give them you dims and how deep you want it and they should be able to tell you how much you need. I did the same idea you have. We put 2x4 frame on top of landscape stones, then filled it in a few inches. Works great.

8. chezpoulet

chezpoulet Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2010
    Redmond WA
    I live in Redmond, and there is a Cadman's Building Supply on Novelty Hill Road. They will sell you building sand for a dollar a bucket- I usually bring in 5 gallon buckets or plastic totes, and they will even help you load up. I live close by, so can easily pick up $5-6 dollars worth at a time. Better price than Home Depot. If you want to rent a pick-up for $ 20 you can probably get a pick-up load for $20-30 dollars.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  9. joan1708

joan1708 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    DFW - mid cities, Tx
    Oh NO! the rats are digging under your metal skirt? How far out do you have it? I'm distressed because that's what I have done and I thought it was supposed to keep the rats out.

10. Ole rooster

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    This last post is kinda strange. Rats and sand? Who said anything about rats?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by