1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I want to cover my run... I need advice (Pics)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by OutdoorFun4, Sep 1, 2009.

1. OutdoorFun4

OutdoorFun4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Southern Maine
    I was looking at corrugated PVC panels, but I don't think they can take the Maine snow load.

I also priced metal roofing at Home Depot. I think it would look nice, but would cost me about $150.

I like the current enclosure and don't want to remove the hardware cloth on top.

Here is my coop and run.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I need:
    1. Easy carpentry suggestions to make a slight slope for drainage.
    2. Best way to cut metal roofing.

Thanks!

Check out other pictures of our flock and coop design.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=26319

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  2. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Home depot will cut the size you need.I do think they charge for cutting but well worth it.I would picth it like a house roof.All you nee is to build a little knee wall in the middle.And you can build it on the ground and lift it into place.I do this with my pheasant pens and use the pitched roof as their pen also.The knee wall makes an excellent perch for them.
    In N.H.,Tony.

3. Vince

Vince Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2009
    Harrison, Tn
    If you do need to cut some tin please remember to wear saftey glasses. Get a metal cutting blade that will fit your skill saw.

4. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    We use lattice wood for the top of our runs from Home Depot.

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Well...it's not aesthetically appealing, but have you considered simply tying on a good quality tarp? Your run looks shaded....do you want sunlight blocked permanently? Or maybe you could just cover part of the run??? Good luck!

6. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    We had the exact same problem. After all the rain this summer I needed a roof and a tarp kept pooling water and bent my wire on the run.

I don't have a good picture, but here's one that may give you an idea. I bought the clear plastic roofing at Home Depot (about $20 a sheet) and gave it a good slope. Not a snow load problem and it really lets all the sun through just like before!

My run doesn't look as good anymore, but - live and learn [​IMG]

If you'd like another picture, let me know and I can get some tomorrow.

[​IMG]

7. OutdoorFun4

OutdoorFun4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Southern Maine
    Thanks for the the advice everyone. Great Ideas!

Yes, gloves and safety glasses are a must working with metal. I still have scars from the hardware cloth.

I can't bring myself to use the blue tarp after all the work I have already completed.

Tony - Good thinking! I think I will build it in a panel and then lift it on. I was thinking more of a shed roof.

Tipsy dog- I think if I use you idea, with a little less slope, I will achieve what I am looking for.

Thanks again!

8. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

9. lisafong

lisafong Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2009
    Wow i have to say i absoloutly love your hen house!!!! its fabulous! you made it yourself??? [​IMG]

10. gotpoodle

gotpoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Central Mass
    Quote:Lynne, is your roof sloped? It's hard to tell in the pic...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by