I want to create a new breed. Any tips.

Barred Rock Boy

In the Brooder
Nov 9, 2015
Kansas
I want to create a breed with everything perfect. High egg laying, medium size, because it is so hot where I live (Kansas). I just wanted to know if anyone had any tips or tricks. I live in Southeast Kansas and was wondering if anyone had chickens that they would sell me so I could use them to cross breed. I need a Leghorn Roo right now. Remember, keep looking in the comments to see what I will need next.

I have one BUT we are going to eat him
hit.gif
Gold star is what you need in the mix

Last edited:
Hi, sorry to be blunt, but I think you do not know what you are getting yourself into. Creating a new breed and getting it recognized by the APA is terribly hard, time consuming, and expensive. It sounds good in theory, but I do not think you understand the requirements in creating a new breed, not to mention getting one recognized by the APA. We can all easily dream of the perfect bird, and dream of creating it, but it isn't exactly feasible. With all the great breeds already out there, your best bet is to get an existing breed.

Now, chances are you are still determined to create your own breed and none of that phased you. In that case, I will give you some tips for getting started.

You need to have everything about this bird figured out. Comb type, color, pattern, leg color, egg color, body shape, etc. so you can know what to breed to what to create this. DON'T just start breeding random birds to random birds to see what you get, because you will surely be disappointed with what you create. Which brings me to my next point. Research genetics as much as you can, read up on genes, dominant vs recessive, punnett squares, all that stuff. So when it comes time to breed, you know what to breed to what.

Once you have a game plan mapped out, you need to develop a system for breeding your birds. You may want to have multiple groups of the same crossed birds going in different pens in case something goes wrong. Or, you may want to have two separate lines of your birds and see what happens. This would minimize the risk in case anything goes wrong.

If, and I say if because it is an extremely low possibility, you do develop a completely distinct breed and want to get it admitted into the APA, here are the requirements: http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/ARTI...Laws Adding Breeds-Varieties to Standard.pdf

It is my honest opinion that if you do decide to do this, you will quite possibly be disappointed. But hey, who knows, maybe in 10 years I'll be proven wrong.

There are already a number of medium sized breeds designed for high egg production, some of which are in significant need of more breeders to save them from extinction. Why not work with breeding one of those back up to the quality originally intended?

good point that a good idea

I want to create a breed with everything perfect. High egg laying, medium size, because it is so hot where I live (Kansas). I just wanted to know if anyone had any tips or tricks. I live in Southeast Kansas and was wondering if anyone had chickens that they would sell me so I could use them to cross breed. I need a Leghorn Roo right now. Remember, keep looking in the comments to see what I will need next.
exchequer leghorns would be a breed/variety to work on- hard to find, using white leghorns to improve egg laying would work. ideal sells them but not until next year, you could email them and see if any will be available this year

what would be interesting would be to produce a bird that is red, white and blue exchequer- it can be done

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom