I want to create larger silkie chickens

Bryce Thomas

Songster
Mar 21, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
I want to work my way up to silkies the size of jersey giants by breeding them with giants but I know roosters cant mate with jerseys and a silky girl probably cant survive such intercourse. I need to work my way up the size chart. I have 1 roo and 2 girls. What breed to I get next to have the babies be larger?

There are ways to artificially fertilize Jersey's with whatever chicken you want. It is complex, but can be done. I cant instruct you do do such.
My understanding is,, it is done on the Broad Breasted White turkeys. They are somewhat too clumsy to successfully do it on their own, to the breeders demands for fertile eggs.
I personally think you will just end up with a group of barnyard mix chickens, and your results will not achieve a HUGE SILKIE.
Another thing to consider,,, Silkies have dark meat. Most other chickens do not.
No need to tell me about Swart Honas, and Ayams.

WISHING YOU BEST IN YOUR ADVENTURES,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

Silkie males can breed a JG female.
Really? I would do this:
Breed JG female with S male

Grow babies (1st generation) then breed babies with another silkies (purebred silkie if possible)

Now the silkie (2nd generation) has silky feathers and is a giant

Then after I do that, do it a lot then my flock is made up of these massive silkies. Would that work or is idea just hogwash?

@MysteryChicken is working on them and has been for a long time. She can tell you how long to expect to be breeding. I would think at least 6 generations to be big, and JGs take over a year sometimes to be mature, so this is a truly long project.

It's possible, but again, it might take you 10 years or more to be close to the goal. You would have to hatch out a lot of chicks in each batch and be quite ruthless in who stays and who is culled from the flock (*note Cull does not mean Kill, just removed from the potential gene pool). Several recessive traits have to be locked in, and you'll want the silkie traits that are dominant to be homozygous, which means test breeding and more culling

@MysteryChicken is working on them and has been for a long time. She can tell you how long to expect to be breeding. I would think at least 6 generations to be big, and JGs take over a year sometimes to be mature, so this is a truly long project.

It's possible, but again, it might take you 10 years or more to be close to the goal. You would have to hatch out a lot of chicks in each batch and be quite ruthless in who stays and who is culled from the flock (*note Cull does not mean Kill, just removed from the potential gene pool). Several recessive traits have to be locked in, and you'll want the silkie traits that are dominant to be homozygous, which means test breeding and more culling
I just started the project last year, this year I'm starting the F2s.

I'm only estimating, but I think at least 4 years, & some minor corrections, they should breed true. (Tip: Skip Bantam Silkies, they carry Bantam Dwarfism Genes. Bantam Dwarfism is a type of Sex Linked Dwarfism, & will throw Small offspring every once in awhile.) There are many different types of Sex Linked Dwarfism that exists.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom