I want to eat the chicken my dog killed...total newbie.

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by ocuinn, Jul 31, 2014.

1. ocuinn

ocuinn Hatching

Jul 31, 2014
    New to the forum. Just officially joined BYC - had been a lurker for a bit.

The boyfriend and I got 6 plymouth barred rocks earlier this year. They have just started laying. I was letting them free range yesterday and was trying to herd them back into the coop when one suddenly took off in the opposite direction - directly towards my tied up dog.

Chicken was killed instantly (broken neck). I was on my way off to work, so I just bagged the chicken and left it in my fridge. This AM (about 24 hours after the incident) I started preparing the chicken. This is my first time, so I have no idea what I am doing. Scalded it. Removed the feathers. Some puncture marks from dog's teeth in breast.

Cut off the head. Cut off the wing tips. Feet are still on. Organs still in. I have the thing soaking in cold water with salt - with the purpose of trying to remove the blood. What else should I be doing? I really want to leave the removal of the insides/feet to my boy (he will be home in 6hrs).

We would like to eat this bird but we do not want to get sick because of improper prep. Some guidance would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
    Caitlyn

2. dczymmek

dczymmek In the Brooder

Jun 2, 2014
    New York
    I'm not sure how good that will be- having it left in the fridge with the intestines in could have very easily tainted the meat. You are gonna want to get the guts out ASAP. Wear some gloves if you need, just cut a slot below the pelvis and around the anus- take it outside and most will fall right out. You need to get them out. Also, if you plan on cooking it soon it may be a little tough as ideally you want the chickens to set 48 hours- while eviscerated- in the fridge. If you eat make sure it is cooked to the proper temperature, and if it tastes off don't eat anymore of that bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by