1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

i want to get a few more laying hens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by first time farmer, Jan 1, 2009.

1. first time farmer

first time farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Hi all
    I am thinking about getting some more hens to add to my flock. I am thinking of getting some babies but I'm not sure yet. Can anyone give me some advice on raising chicks?

2. chickenpiedpiper

chickenpiedpiper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    There is lots of existing info in other threads that you could check out, or the McMurray catalog has a detailed page on chick raising, and is a great breed reference resource. We waited until warmer weather to raise ours.

You might also consider going to the big Poultry show that is coming up in West Springfield Mass in Mid January, (17-18) at the Big E fairgrounds. Then you could just buy the hens you want, they are all certified healthy, and vet checked, on site!

Where in NH are you? If you want, I have a Rooster looking for a Home who would love to defend your girls..... He is a Real sweetie, sits on your arm, and comes when hes called....

Just a thought.

Good Luck!

3. first time farmer

Dec 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    thanks i am pretty close to manchester a rooster may be out of the question because of the neighbors who aren't big on me having a farm LOL I got my First 2 bantam hens at the Hillsboro County Fair my 2 barred rocks and my americana are from my 4-h leaders friend (who was in our 4-h club along time ago) the poultry show in mass sounds like something that would be really cool to go to. I'll try to make it down there

I am just planing right now. I think I am going to order the chicks in february.

Thanks for the advice

4. chickenpiedpiper

chickenpiedpiper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    Definetly order the mcmurray catalog! You would not believe all the info in there, even if you dont order from them, I use the catalog as a reference point, and it lives right on my desk. It looks pretty beat up, but I learn something new everytime I look through it!

Really a great reference! And free!

5. first time farmer

Dec 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Thanks I will do that right after i go collect eggs from the hen house. The fact that it is free makes it that much better

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by