I want to get a incubator as a christmas present for fiance!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by foxypoproxy, Nov 29, 2011.

1. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    My fiance is really upset because our whole flock is sick and it looks like we will have to cull them all (CRD).
    I want to get him an incubator for Christmas so he can hatch some chicks out in the spring.

What incubator is the best for the price?
    Ive been doing some research.
    I heard the HOVA-BATOR INCUBATOR (still air) ones weren't that good.
    I heard the Genesis is good, but i would like to get one for under $100.
    Any suggestions?

Ive never hatched chicks before, so what would be good for a noob?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I ALWAYS recommend the Genesis 1588 w/auto turner for anyone since it's so easy and convenient.

It is above your $100 mark, though.

[​IMG]

3. sunnydalefarms

sunnydalefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    Sturgeon, MO
    Quote:I agree with the Genesis 1588. Incubator Warehouse has them for $125 without the turner.

4. brijay2

brijay2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2009
    Waddell AZ
    I have a Brinsea mini eco and I love it. It holds 8-10 large fowl eggs and up to 18 Serama size eggs. I may be selling it soon because I got another Brinsea with a turner. Any interest in a used Brinsea Mini?[​IMG]

5. Jay262

Jay262 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Havo bators are great epsically for there price i have hatched many eggs with the couple i have plus for the price of one compared to the others you can get the incubator, turner and a decent hydrometer. . A downside to the model i have atleast is a small viewing window but as for holding temp mine has never raised or lowered half a degree during hatches. I wouldnt buy another styrofoam incubator outside of these. If i was to upgrade it would be to a brinsea incubator.

6. foxypoproxy

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    Thanks everyone!
    This really helped, i'll probably put in the extra money for a genesis.

7. foxypoproxy

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    Quote:I agree with the Genesis 1588. Incubator Warehouse has them for $125 without the turner.

Thanks for mentioning that site!
    Seems that alot of their incubators are good prices

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  8. Loretta212

Loretta212 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Meriden ct
    i have ued my hova bator to hatch chickens 3 times now i think it works ok but would go with something thats not still air hard to keep the temp. you could look on e bay they have a lot of stuff right now for the holidays

9. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Hovabator Genesis 1588 with automatic turner. Very easy - and can hatch up to 42 eggs. Even with a great sale, it'll still be at least $150 - but worth every penny.

10. Deanner03

Deanner03 The Cake Queen

Unless you REAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALY want to learn the hard way about chicken math....get him SOMETHING ELSE [​IMG]

Our one hovabator turned into several (mostly from craigslist/local classifieds) turned into a cabinet turned into WAY too many chickens. And when I suggest we have enough, DH suggests [​IMG] for me. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by