I want to give them a fair chance, need opinions

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Becaco, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Becaco

Becaco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    I have some 3 1/2 year hens, some 1 year old and some in between. I do have about 30 pullets that will be laying soon.

What I want to do is take the older hens and put them in a seperate pen one at a time. I want to find out who is laying and how often. My question is how long should I leave them, one week or two weeks?

If they lay during that first week, all is well, just want to know how often during the week they lay.

If they don't lay during that first week, will it be any use to leave them another week?

Those that don't lay will get a black band (which means cull).

2. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I'm not quite sure the age when the chickens will slow in egg production compared to when they will stop completely. I think a week seperation should be enough. I'm not too sure on this though, I hope someone comes along with a better answer.

3. sussexgal

sussexgal Chillin' With My Peeps

My girls are molting..... and I know of folks who have chickens much older than yours that are still laying. I guess my advice to you would be make sure they aren't in a transitional period (ie. molting) that is causing a temporary slow down or stoppage. Some folks measure the distance between pubic bones - 3 fingers they are still laying. Moist vent is looked for also.... all dry and puckered? Not laying.

4. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

I've been pondering this also, as I have some hens who are older, and I want to be sure to have replacements ready when they do go "off".

I had planned on just turning the older ladies out to freerange with some of the roos I have out - I couldn't eat them - too tough, and I have a lot of acreage, so I figure they can freerange until their natural (or un-natural) ends.
    If they still lay some eggs and if they perhaps hatch some out, then I'll get free chickens. Otherwise, I'll just have nice lawn ornaments, I guess.

I, too, am waiting for a better answer on what age, etc...

Peace -
    Meriah

5. Becaco

Becaco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    The hens range from 1 year - 3 1/2 years. I have about 36, and am only getting a dozen eggs a day and that is a good day. Just a couple of weeks ago I was lucky to get 4 or 5. During that time though it was hot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by