I want to hatch, but . . .

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gussie398, Feb 17, 2012.

1. gussie398

gussie398 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2011
    The world
    I'm one of the youngest on BYC and I would really like to see if TJ's eggs will hatch (I've read they can). Unfortunately, we have NO room. We already bought two more chicks than we originally wanted. Is there any place I can give them to? I've heard of giving the hatched chicks to 4-H clubs, whatever those are. I am near Pasadena, if that helps.
    Gussie398

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  2. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    First of all, you should never post your age on the internet. So please delete that.

You may be able to sell the chicks on craiglist? It wouldn't be a bad idea to line up homes prior to setting eggs so that you don't get stuck with too many chicks that you don't have room for.

3. gussie398

Dec 31, 2011
    The world
    Ok, deleted. But yeah, Craigslist is what most people would say. I am afraid that they won't get sold and we'll be stuck with them. We live in the Los Angeles/Pasadena area so I'm guessing not many will want chickens.

4. LukeandAli

LukeandAli Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    Carver, Oregon
    I went to college about 45 minutes from LA and there were TONS of farms there. A 15 minute drive toward LA landed us right in the middle of farms. Lancaster/Palmdale/the surrounding areas are big on small time farming. Maybe try posting your Craigslist.org add for those areas?

5. gussie398

Dec 31, 2011
    The world
    I don't really know where that is, but I'll see if there are any existing adds for chicks on craigslist for around there.

6. LukeandAli

LukeandAli Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    Carver, Oregon
    It's the butt crack of the middle of nowhere; but, most of the people in Lancaster/Palmdale live there and work in LA because they like the rural life and being able to keep their jobs in the busy city. The commute isn't too bad and the area is quiet. There was an airport in Palmdale; but, I think it went under. :(

7. gussie398

Dec 31, 2011
    The world
    Ahah!
    Palmdale is about 1 hr 20 mins away and Lancaster an hour and a half. So not very close at all. Craigslist also seems kind of scary. Maybe the feedstore'll take the girls, but probably not the roos.
    =, (

8. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Most importantly.... hatch responsibly. I love to hatch and I sell my chicks to a local feed store for $1/each. I also place an ad locally offering my hatching services at no charge. Folks bring me the eggs they want hatched, and I have to joy of hatching already knowing all the chicks have somewhere to go.

9. gussie398

Dec 31, 2011
    The world
    That sounds like a good idea. I couldn't do the hatching services though. I'd need a buncha 'bators! I have the Brinsea Mini Eco, and that only holds ten. The feedstore only sell girly chickettes, and straight run has roosters. But I'll ask him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by