I want to hatch chicks in November to sell in spring

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chicken farmer, Nov 28, 2013.

1. chicken farmer

chicken farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern,Ohio
    I was thinking about putting eggs in the incubator and then by time they grow up some by spring they will be ready to lay in about May then I can sell them ready to lay and aren't a year old yet..think it's a good idea?

2. Catfish267

Catfish267 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2012
    I Don't Remember
    It gets pretty hard trying to keep em alive during the winter when they are so small. Your'e gonna have to use a heat lamp or kepp them in your house for a while. Using the lamp would cost $$$$$ and lose your profit.

3. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    It all depends upon your market. I started chicks in Dec and could of sold 200 or more at 4 months if I had them. If you've got the set up and the market, go for it.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Agrees!

Maybe start small until you find or grow a market.....and test that you have the facilities to grow them well.
    Keep close track of feed and power expenditure to make sure you're not losing money....if that matters to you.

5. chicken farmer

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern,Ohio
    Ok thank you guys I will be keeping them in my house and I have a grow out pen outside by the big adult pen for them to grow out in until they can go in the big pen and I do have a couple people right now that would buy some probably and I could advertise and sell some too so I might go ahead and do it in a week or two..thanks again

6. Cknldy

Cknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    Appalachian mtns
    This is what I am doing but I started in October. Thankfully Mother Nature was on my side and it stayed warm with no snow until after the chicks were feathered out at 4 weeks. However I am not raising these chicks to sell come Spring, I started them in the Fall so that by the time they are laying/mating I can sell THEIR chicks and eggs:) My suggestion if you've not raised chicks in winter before is to start with a small number! 50 chicks in the house are really loud even if you like to hear them and they outgrow a house brooder quickly. The chicks can still be adjusted to the outside at the same age as during the warm months but you do need to have a light already rigged outside for when it is real cold. Expect a loss or two because nothing ever goes perfectly and tend to them often. Go for it and good luck!

7. Stynch

Stynch Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2013
    Buckeye, AZ
    When we got started last summer, it was by buying from someone who was doing exactly what you are considering. Many of us don't have the facilities to maintain separate areas for the youngsters, so having a source for 5-6 month olds is a necessity if we want/need to add to our existing flock. We started with 5, and after rehoming the roo have 4, 3 of whom lay almost daily and one who is about to become soup!! Chicken math being what it is, we are already talking about adding 2 or 3 more pullets next spring so we won't be totally eggless when the older ones molt. Good luck with your venture.

8. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    What I found with the people I sold pullets to is they love variety. I did not raise any big layer hens. I stuck with the colorful heritage breeds and EEs. Go for the docile breeds and select breeds that are cold hardy. People will ask for RIR only because they know the name. Once they see the variety, why would they want a plain brown hen?

Do NOT mix the pullets you want to sell with your chickens. You do not want people clamoring over your chickens. You don't want people talking you out of your layers and you most definitely do not allow strangers in with your girls. You also don't have to make excuses for pullets you want to hold on to. Put them in with your hens as soon as you identify that you want to keep them.

I sold mine on CL. Just get some good pictures. It's no more work to do batches of 25-50 than it is to do 10 if you have the room.

9. chicken farmer

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern,Ohio
    Ok I feel better about this now I appreciate your guys replys and I can advertise and get people who are looking for laying hens and on craigslist in the area I live in people are always asking for laying hens so I think I could make some profit and sell them,and I will post pics and keep you guys updated on the whole thing thanks again![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by