I want to hatch eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by flock-mama, May 30, 2008.

1. flock-mama

flock-mama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    Bayfield colorado
    I want one of my hens to sit on eggs and hatch them. Is there a way to convince a hen to sit? Or maybe if I close off the area and keep one in with the eggs, will she get the idea and sit? I have 12 hens different breeds, most of them lay in the same nest. I don't see any signs of any of them wanting the job. Any suggestions will help, Thanks.

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    What breed of hen do you have?

3. flock-mama

May 30, 2008
    Bayfield colorado
    1 RIR, 1 buff orpington, 2 turkens, 3 white leghorn, a feather footed maybe a light brama, 3 araucanas, 1 barred rock, last year I got a combo of chicks, from Murray McMurray. I think the buff or RIR would be the best mommy. Thanks,

4. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    The buff is most liekly to sit, then the turkens....put some golf balls out and leave them for a week...see if it gets her going. You have to be careful though with hens that are sitting for the first time...she may not sit the whole time, so you will have ot watch her close.

5. flock-mama

May 30, 2008
    Bayfield colorado
    I've left the 9 eggs in the nest the last few days just to see if anyone would sit. I would collect eggs from other nests. Right now everyone can get to them, they seem safe but no sitter. But my chickens get to free rang and that could be too tempting to get off the eggs. I have an area in the coop I call the nursery,(10x10 room) should I put eggs and buff inside and shut gate? Are three day old eggs too old? Should I throw those 9 eggs away and start new? I usually buy 2 day old chicks but this year I wanted to try it this way. Thanks:p

6. flock-mama

May 30, 2008
    Bayfield colorado
    Ok I got golf balls out in coop where I want them to lay, I have pulled out the 9 eggs that have been there for 3 to 4 days. Do I trap the buff in with golf balls? I wanted all the different breeds to lay and have one mom hatch them. I hope they get the picture of what I want them to do. Thanks for advice, flock-mama

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by