I want to hatch!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CDennis, Dec 2, 2010.

1. CDennis

CDennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    Until now I have either bought chicks, or begged a hen to go broody. I'm over it and want to HATCH. But, I want to make sure I get off to a good start so what do I need. Obviously an incubator, I found a hovabator 1602n w/ egg turner on ebay for 75 and I am willing to spend in that price range but not much more. Is there a better incubator for the money? What else do I need to buy before I get started? Thanks in advance. I just want to be prepared.

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Go immerse yourself in the incubating guides, you need a reliable hygrometer and thermometer. You'll need to test eggs with your first incubator to see how accurate it is and if you need parts and you need to build a broody box for when your eggs hatch! Welcome to the world of hatching. We sell and ship eggs year round! Have a blessed day! Nancy

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    You will be spending more than $75... Unless you can get a "good" used incubator off craigs list or some other place.

I look at it as a long term investment.... buy a good bator. Get a GQF Genesis 1588 Hovabator with the auto turner and add to that a couple of hygrometer/thermometer units or better yet, the Brinsea Octogon 20 Advance Ex.

Then get a good brooder box etc...

4. thechickonthehill

thechickonthehill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Sadieville, KY
    Quote:Whatever kind of incubator you get you need to be sure to invest in a good, reliable thermometer and hygrometer. Being able to trust the information they give you will make a big difference in your success rate. Also, be prepared for it to take at least one hatch to "get to know" your incubator. In my case it took me until hatch number 4 to get everything figured out and that was primarily because I started out with an unreliable thermometer and hygrometer. I wouldn't advise investing much money in your first batch of eggs. You can read and read (and you should) but it takes actually doing it to understand and you will make some mistakes along the way. Good Luck and have fun! Oh, one other warning - HATCHING IS VERY ADDICTIVE!

5. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    Quote:Hello!! I am with you!!!! I just bought a incubator from mypetchicken!
    Although i am unsure when i want to start... i was going to buy chicks in februrary, I may start in january. we will see. [​IMG]
    I would love a hatching buddy!!!!! [​IMG]

Andrea-!!!!!!!!

6. thechickonthehill

thechickonthehill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Sadieville, KY
    Although i am unsure when i want to start... i was going to buy chicks in februrary, I may start in january. we will see. [​IMG]

Andrea-!!!!!!!!

HaHa! Believe me you'll have lots of hatching buddies in January - including me![​IMG]

7. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.

Andrea-!!!!!!!!

HaHa! Believe me you'll have lots of hatching buddies in January - including me![​IMG]

awesome!!!!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by