i want to hear about...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sdshoars, Dec 3, 2008.

1. sdshoars

sdshoars Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Texas
    your late laying hens!!! mine just turned 25 weeks, and no eggs yet! these are from ideal hatchery, so its not like they are really nice show birds that mature late! so tell me about your hens that aren't laying yet, just to make me feel better, lol!

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Can I join in and talk about hens that are on strike? I haven't had a green egg in almost 4 weeks now. Time changed and they stopped.

3. RIVERA69R

RIVERA69R Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    VENICE FL
    Quote:Yoy might try lighting the coop for a couple more hours at night to make them think its still long days just a thought

4. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Yeah, I have a few stubborn girls. But we recently took out some extra roos and we got a lot more eggs a few days later so I think they are less stressed. But we do have some that need to get on the ball. Most will be 6 months old the end of this month and i can understand some of the Jersey Giants not laying but the Wellies are not pulling their weight either.

And my bantam Cochins haven't laid in almost 6 months and now one pen of Araucanas have stopped laying for about 3 weeks and they are not molting. I know the older ones need to rest and that is fine but these young girls need to get their butts in gear. Literally![​IMG]

5. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I have 2 EE's that are six months old and neither has laid anything for me yet. I'm dying to know if they will give me green eggs... I WANT green eggs!!

I know because they were late hatchers and that daylight is reduced that they may not lay for a wile yet. I've also heard that EE's tend to lay closer to the 30 week mark anyways. I think I need to take the calender out and point out that the 30 week mark passed.... get on with the laying already girls.

I have at least two others in that same hatch (different breeds) that haven't started to lay yet either.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Out of 16 hens all the same breed, I still have two girls that have never laid an egg. They are almost 32 weeks old. Some of them have been laying since 19 & 20 weeks. Lil'Bit layed two eggs about two months ago and hasn't layed since.
    I'm not worried about it. They'll lay when their bodies tell them it's time.
    I DO NOT add artificial lighting and I never intend to. There are too many drawbacks to adding artificial light and IMO it's not worth it for the sake of a few more eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by